leather coral problems

Dannyrb26

Reefing newb
my small leather coral isnt comin out i dunno wats wrong it tries to come out then retracts ....any ideas wats up with it
All my other corals r fine!

Last edited:
leathers often shed their skin in part of the growing process, so they will stay retracted and look like poop for a few days. Just give it time

What are your water parameters and what is the leather's location in the tank in regards to flow and light? Also, what kind of leather is it?

everythin is where it should be according to red sea...ive moved it from high low more flow less nothing makes it come out..... purple finger leather :P

Okay, what are your parameters? Numbers, please.

pH
alkalinity
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
temperature
salinity

"Where it should be" differs from person to person and coral to coral.

Melafix claims to be reef safe, however there are plenty of people that have attributed coral deaths to it. Few medications are actually 100% reef safe. You should never use any medication in your display tank unless you are willing to risk a few of your inverts. Why are you treating with Melafix? You should be quarantining your fish if you are using Melafix.

Melafix isn't for flatworms. It's for various fish diseases. It won't do anything against flatworms. The medication for flatworms is called Flatworm Exit.

thats wierd cause i seen the worms fall out...and 1 of the leading reefing in my state uses it for same thing :S im confused now

Melafix:
Heals open wounds & abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue.

Melafix® - API

Read the package. It says nothing about flatworms.

I don't think you have Melafix. Melafix is not for corals. And flatworms are neither a fish disease nor a coral disease. Why would you treat for flatworms with a coral medication anyways? Are you sure that what you have is even flatworms? You really need to find out more info about what you are doing to your tank instead of just dumping random meds in for random things that you aren't sure of.

Back