Leather Finger Coral

hawaii666

Reefing newb
I have a 12 Gallon Nano Cube tank, it has a leather coral in it that used to be big but now it has shrunk to a very small size. What could be wrong with it?:frustrat:

Leathers will "shed" every once in a while...
But give us a run down. What are your parameters? What light are you using? How long has the tank been set up? What else is in there?

12 Gallon Tank but Salt and pH are all good.
They are florescent white and blue lights.
I have 2 Blue Damsels, 2 Clowns, Royal Gramma Basset, Blue Hippo Tang.

what about ammonia , nitrite, nitrate??
and that tank is waay to small for the hippo not to mention that is a few to many fish for a 12 gallon.. quick rule of thumb is about 1 fish per 10 gallon.. blue hippo needs more like a 180 gallon or better..

Um, did you just say a tang in a 12 gallon tank? I just saw where somebody mentioned it already. That is not good at all to put a big fish in a small tank like that. But if you work on the fish population and take some other steps it should work out.

Last edited:
I would pick your most favorite fish (and not tang) and return all of others. Having that many fish in there is like having a family of 6 live in one room. They fit, but no one is happy about it and everyone suffers.

Plus i think removing that many fish will solve many of your current issues and prevent others

+1 everyone...and I wouldn't make purchases from the fish site that sold it to you anymore, it's evident that they don't care about you or the fish, but only about money.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and when I bought the tang they said it would do perfect in a 12 Gallon tank and thats why I bough it. I will definitely not go to that store anymore.:shock:

In the future, take anything a local fish store tells you with a grain of salt, and research the fish on your own. A simple search would have revealed that a hippo tang needs a minimum of 180 gallons. Also 6 fish in a 12 gallon is WAY too many fish

Back