Leather toadstool

To follow on from my earlier post, My leather started like this
IMG_1407.jpg

It then did pretty much exactly what yours is doing. I have no pictures of this process as the mushrooms moved in and covered the process. End result as I said earlier though, the leather split in two (looked like it was rotting/melting and left me with the following bits.

The old head, the part sticking up with no polyps was originally connected to the base.
P1130918.jpg

The old base or stalk section. I noticed on the weekend a third set of polyps starting to come through on the front of the piece.
P1130923.jpg

I had this happen to a toadstool I had, the entire stock melted. I blew it off the rocks with a turkey baster and vacuumed it out. The head reattached and grew a new stock, after a few weeks I saw tiny toadstools growing out of the rock where the old stock was.

Wow, that would be awesome. I'll keep you all in the loop on progress.

On my nitrates issue, I'm beginning to think part of it is because I have been using *gasp* tap water (w/ salt mix) for makeup. I'm running to Walmart for Distiled water tonight. Have been investigating DI/RO systems. Will take the plunge soon.

Here's an updated pic of the leather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 291
Here's today's update pic. :)
BTW, switching to distilled water made a difference. My nitrates fell between 5-10ppm after latest water change. Best its been in two weeks. I might be able to put my fish in soon! (New fish - They've been in quarantine).
:bounce:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 273
Ive been using tap water for a year now and have had 0 issues. Ive got an rodi just setting there unused. Check your tap water with a tds meter and sample nitrates and phates too. Its always nice to see what you start out with

everyone's tap water is different. That being said I've never seen good enough water quality out of a faucet to put in my tank but I am sure those places exist.

Probably somewhere in Southeast Wisconsin.

Thanks for the input guys. I found this site but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
EWG Tap Water Database 2009
According to the site, my local water is high in copper, nitrites, nitrates, manganese and TTHM's (?). All over the legal limit (supposedly).

Anyway, going back to my leather - he continues to look worse, day by day. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but man, he looks bad. Check it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 283
Yeahhh that's starting to look pretty bad. I would be testing nitrates almost daily and think about pulling it

this is what mine looks like with my tap water. A few others just to prove my point of the Niagara escarpments water source. Sorry for your loss man, mine closes up from time to time but I would agree it does look like it melted down. you may want to check your phates too.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 276
Thanks for your input and advice guys. I basically sucked him out with a turkey baster. What a way to go. I have to think the toxins from my elephant ear mushroom that I cut out (next to him) is what did him in. Too bad. He was my favorite piece I had.

Any worries about the green "stuff" he left behind? Wasn't sure if I needed to scrub the rock too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 299
Rocks always look different underneath the corals. Different bacteria, different lighting exposure, flow, etc. give it a couple of weeks it will be fine

That would be great.
Nitrates still at 5-10ppm. Going to clean out my canister filter tomorrow. Who knows what's in there right now.

Interestingly enough, the first month I used it, I did not clean it once. Now I've cleaned it twice in the last two weeks. I was using a penguin 350 previous to that.
Should I be using the marineland c-360 in conjunction with some other filtration? What time table is recommended? Thanks Angie. I am still learning so I welcome any advice! :)

Interestingly enough, the first month I used it, I did not clean it once. Now I've cleaned it twice in the last two weeks. I was using a penguin 350 previous to that.
Should I be using the marineland c-360 in conjunction with some other filtration? What time table is recommended? Thanks Angie. I am still learning so I welcome any advice! :)
hi sigs :)
these can filters need to be cleaned once a week imo
if not they tend to harbour nitrates
what media you have in it ?

I really only have the standard Marineland provided media.

2 pieces filter foam (bottom)
1 Bag of Kent Marine Reef Carbon & 1 bag of Fluval Clearmax (was trying to drop my nitrates)
1 - bio-balls
1 - ceramic rings
1 - polishing pad (on top)

Open to suggestions on that setup. I'm good cleaning out every two weeks. Do I need to clean the tubing too? Starting to get gunked up with algae.

I go to Italy at the end of August. My fish & coral will be in the care of my wife's parents. I need to have the tank on autopilot (or as close to that as possible). lol.

I really only have the standard Marineland provided media.

2 pieces filter foam (bottom)
1 Bag of Kent Marine Reef Carbon & 1 bag of Fluval Clearmax (was trying to drop my nitrates)
1 - bio-balls
1 - ceramic rings
1 - polishing pad (on top)

Open to suggestions on that setup. I'm good cleaning out every two weeks. Do I need to clean the tubing too? Starting to get gunked up with algae.

I go to Italy at the end of August. My fish & coral will be in the care of my wife's parents. I need to have the tank on autopilot (or as close to that as possible). lol.
hi
am not a fan of any of the filter media in your can (sorry) just my opinion though others may disagree
am a big beleaver in letting the rock and sand take care of the bio side of things
and would only use the can for mechanical filtration ,carbon /rowhaphos and floss which would be thrown every week and replaced with new , the floss that is
have you got plenty of live rock in your tank sigs??
the reason I don't like those filters is if there not cleaned all the time they hold on to nitrates and release back into the display tank
if you have any pipe cleaning brushes it wont do any harm cleaning them out :):)

Back