Leather vs Bubble tip

Snotman

Snotman
Hi guys, this is my first post on here. Ive spent a lot of time on Aquariumadvice.com and was chuffed to find a UK equivalent!

I want some opinions about happenings in my tank this weekend.

On Saturday I collected 2 small leather coral frags, 1 finger and 1 plating'ish. They shared a tank at the LFS and I presumed they were getting on fine. (Lovely blue sponge along with one of them and some glorious Zoa's!)

I have had a wonderful Bubble tip for about 6 months and my clowns love it dearly, it has been happily in one place for a long time now but over night on Saturday, after introducing the Leathers, he went walk about, decided it was all too much and stuffed himself through my brand new Hydor Korelia 4 powerhead (great PH btw). I was distraught as he was by far my favouritist reef member.

I know all PHs should be guarded against Anenames etc but I didnt think he would reach the Hydor as its so far out in the water column. I am genuinely gutted.

What I want opinions about is: Do you think the leathers started with their chemical warfare accross the tank and it forced the BTA to move?

Does anyone think I could have rescued the BTA and it survive? It was pulled through about 3 seperate grill openings upto halfway through its body and its torso was badly torn up. My new skimmer filled up over night!!!

Like to hear from you guys. I will be posting about my new 800 litre tank setup as I go if thats ok with you guys and its of interest. Its just water at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your BTA.Since,I never keep a anemone I'm not certain what you should do.I think that if its anyway possible put it in a QT tank and see how it does.When an anemone dies it turns to moush making it nearly impossible to remove.It most definitely can foul a tank.

I think all corals have chemical warfare so it is possible that the leather could of cause your BTA to move.Do you run carbon?If not,it may help.

Sorry for your misfortunes,I hope things get better and welcome to Living Reef.

ps...I need to get my conversion chart out:800 litres and 150 litres is how many gallons?You know, us Yanks have our own way of doing things.:mrgreen:

Cheers for the comments. Yes I run Carbon, phosban, aggresivly skim and run a polishing reactor. All the components that are moving to my bigger tank in fact :D

I did wonder about why there wasnt more mush and crud in the tank but on spotting my skimmer cup I worked out where it had gone! normally 1 inch of skimmate every few days, Sunday morning I woke to 2-3 inches of crud in the cup. Even stranger than that, after work I went to my LFS to get some food and tell them about my loss and noticed a BTA upside down on the floor of one of their tanks. I pointed this out and they immediatly ried to get it back on its foot. Thats when it disintergrated and the huge column of white waste erupted from it! Thats what I missed. What a shame. To be honest, it looked just like the footage of the mass barrier reef spawnings you see on TV.

Still, I try to look on the brightside, and see that its one less awkward to move critter for when I do the big change over.

As for you yanks doing things your own way, remember that you use imperial (English) measuring and we only use metric because the French and Germans made us :frustrat: At least we still use mph and all our signs are in miles! Only peeps in Europe I beleive. Last bastion against the Federalists!

Welcome to the reefs Snotman
I have read that 9 times out of 10 if an anemones foot/body is torn that they most likly will die.I dont know that to be fact though.
I guess it is possible that the leather was engaging in chemical warfare and caused it to move.

We are very glad you have found our site and hope you use it and visit often. Most likely the addition of the new corals presented something to the anemone that it did not like so it started to move again. welcome to the site.

Back