LED dimming and resulting color temperature changes

RockStacker

Reefing newb
Reading up on lighting in general (not just reefkeeping specific), there is information that the color temperature ratings (in Kelvin) for light sources are based on their maximum illumination.
When those lights are dimmed by limiting the power source, then the color temperature changes in accordance with the reduced power.

I wonder if those same mechanics apply to LEDs used in reefkeeping fixtures.
For example: A 3W LED rated at 14,000K will only be at 14000K at 100% power. Dimming it down would also affect the color temperature so it approaches "warmer" (lower Kelvin) color temperatures.

If this is true, then:
A: For those of us running LEDs less than 100%, then we are not really running them at the advertised color temperature (Kelvin).

B: Those who use automatic gradual ramp up and ramp down of lights throughout the day may be giving corals better exposure to a wide range of color temperatures as the LEDs increase and decrease illumination and thus change color temperature throughout the day.

Just wondering.

And some science behind it:
Aquarium Lighting & Light Information | Reef & Planted | PAR & Watt & Kelvin.

Yes, very correct.
On the kessils, i do the same thing with the apex system. They use the intensity for that and swear that the "light" color doesnt matter.

When doing this, i would suggest using a reef keeper of some sort. We can adjust lighting manually, but thats not to say that is what the corals want. It is amazing the results are from the corals when doing this. Ive seen a vast improvement in fragging corals because of the growth. I would not suggest getting kessils because of the price of them, cables and controller were right around 2k.

Back