LED hurting my corals

mojuave

Reefing newb
I'm not having a successful LED conversion. Let's start at begging. I have a 125 gallon with three 24" sections at top. I installed DIY LED lighting, 3 15" heatsinks with 18 3 watt high output Led, 10 white 10,000k and 8 Blue, so there are three sections set just like this. After installation, my bubbletip went into hiding, my leather corals, frogspon, mushrooms, kenya trees, pretty much all corals are at %50 what they were. WHAT DID I DO WRONG ???? PLEASE HELP

Did you acclimate them to the light? If they are dimmable to would keep the light dimmed and gradually increase it to full strength. If you didn't do that then your corals are shocked right now I'd say.

+1 Brittany...the sudden shock of an intense light is what's doing it to your corals. What type of lighting did you have before the leds? And if your lights don't dim, then I'd suggest raising the fixture from the tank more.

thanks for replies. I had coralife compacts prior and no I did not acclimate I did not know I had too with lights and yes they are dimmable and they have been in now two weeks should I still dim down and slowly come up?

Yes. Anytime you change lighting, you have to acclimate your new corals to the new lights. You can shock, bleach and kill them if you don't adjust to them gradually over time.

I always give the analogy of going outside after a long winter. You will get a nasty sun burn if you stay out too long. By the end of the summer, you can stay out all day and be fine.

I always give the analogy of going outside after a long winter. You will get a nasty sun burn if you stay out too long. By the end of the summer, you can stay out all day and be fine.

Unless you are a white as paste pale face ginger like me! Then you can never go out in the sun. Ever. Ever. Ever. :frustrat:

Same happened to me i had built my own 25 blue and 25 white and it does hurt your corals SEVERELY. I dont recommend them to anyone unless you want the pop that it gives off.

i would suggest starting all the corals at the sand bed, or if you have manuel control dim your lights or combination of both.. Then slowly move the corals up each week as they adjust.

Most likely,, they weren't adjusted to the brightness of the light.

Back