led light or not?

from what i gathered they work well and give the shimmering affect that the Metal Halides have, but they are so expensive your better off going with the T5HO lighting for the money unless you have an unlimited budget !!

i would go with mh lights or t5's myself the leds work as long as you have the money for the good ones. and it is still a new techonology that will only get better every year. but until more companies start making them they are going to too expensive. so i think you can get a better light like a mh for less that half the cost of a highend led light

Well if you are fish only you can get an LED that looks good and isn't expensive. I got my mother-in-law a 24" 6W LED with day and moonlight bulbs for $99 for her 29 gallon-ish tank. It seriously looks really good. It shimmers as much as my MH and its surprisingly bright. She has plants in there that are doing ok, (they would be better if she ever did anything for the tank). It wouldn't work for coral but it is pretty cool for just fish.

Last edited:
Yes, if you pocketbook allows go with LED. I'm not sure if the lifespan of LEDs will even out the cost of you buy them premade. It is awfull nice to not have to worry about if your bulbs are old.

Back