LED lighting question

My gut says no,

Metal halide lamps generate 65-115 lumens per watt
Those generate 400-600 lumens for the model that would fit over your tank.

A 150w MH would put out over 1000, obviously lumens is not the only factor but it gives you an idea of what you would need to match.

You also need to look at PAR ratings and compare the two.

That would be fine for a fish only tank, but it's nowhere near enough light for a reef tank.

Lumens are totally irrelevant in reef tank lighting. You need to be concerned with PAR.
The 24"-36" lights contain 8 1 watt led's and would be OK for a fish only tank. The high cost, make for reef tank LED lights have anywhere from 75 to 130 1 watt led's per 2 sq ft.

Check these out.
http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=124

I pimped out a little fresh water tank with that light. Its actually pretty bright but aint gonna cut it in the reef world. But it can grow some crappy little fresh water plants.

Last edited:
While those light wont support a reef.They are great to suppliment with.Especially if your running T-5s and want the shimmer effect.

Thanks guys.

Im currently using 2X24watt T5s while my tank finishes its cycle. But I figured I should start looking for lights now so when I can start getting corals and such I have the right equipment.

Just save up for a good fixture. Is yout tank 30" wide? If so, it will be difficult to find 30" long t5's . You could get an inexpensive MH pendant.

Back