LED Lighting questions

joshlegs

Reefing newb
So I've had my tank up for quiiite a while now (over a year). Just recently upgraded to a 55g with a 20g sump (DIY all the way!!! DIY overflow, sump AND tank stand. BOOYAKASHA!)

Anyway, I recently got a long tentacle anemone and I'm curious about my lighting. I cant remember exactly but I''m pretty sure my lighting is the 36-48 inch version of this: http://www.petco.com/product/122549/Fluval-Eco-Bright-LED-Aquarium-Strip-Light.aspx

Anyway, How do i know if I've got enough lighting for the nem (and possible future corals)? I don't know how the wattage translates with LEDs. I think you're supposed to have 3-5 watts per gallon, but i have no idea of the conversions.

thanks !!!

honestly, I have never bought a light fixture from Petco...I watched a video and the marine one doesn't look bad but I would maybe buy another unit and put 2 over the tank

I wouldn't personally risk it. I went with the ReefBreeders value fixture for $180 shipped and I really like it. My SPS are doing well under it, as are my zoas/palys and LPS. I don't know much about those fixtures to recommend them or not, but like I said, its a risk I'm not willing to take, personally.

I'm not sure about those lights. I went with 3 ecoray 72DXs over my 125gal. I know how it is to be on a budget all I had for a year was T8s, just remember you get what you pay for. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Back