LED lighting Systems

RIJohn

Reefing newb
Was wondering if any one is using LED systems and if so what types and where did you purchase them from.

My current system is causing immense heat, I have them suspended a good 15in off my tank and still tank temps keep climbing when the halides come on.

Thanks for the Help

Parrotchute is the only person on the site that I'm aware of that is using LEDs for a large tank. LED systems cost several thousands of dollars...

Do you have any clip-on fans blowing across the surface of the water? Just some cheap fans from Walmart can drop the tank's temp by up to 10 degrees.

Parrotchute is the only person on the site that I'm aware of that is using LEDs for a large tank. LED systems cost several thousands of dollars...

Do you have any clip-on fans blowing across the surface of the water? Just some cheap fans from Walmart can drop the tank's temp by up to 10 degrees.

I have a big ceiling fan in that room and just ordered a quad cooling that mounts to the tank. The other problem is the ballasts are heating my house three to five degrees. So Leds seem like a good alternative. I saw a LED fixture for 699 I would need two for my tank.

I'm curious to know what fixture you found John....especially for $700.

The only two companies that are selling LED lighting system(that I know of) for that size aquarium are the ATI Aquaillumination and Sfiligoi.Both are real pricey,much more expensive then $700.I've read of people importing an LED system called Maxspect but they have no US distributor.

Have you considered T5-HO fixtures?

Yeah T5s would be much cheaper, and would still allow you to keep anything you wanted.

I am running the 6-bulb Current Nova Extreme Pro on my 90.

Might be talking about the Wavepoint fixtures. Marinedepot has 2 LED fixtures for under $700. If it were me personally, I think I'd rather have an expensive T5 fixture then a cheap LED one (and still only pay half the price).

I'm curious to know what fixture you found John....especially for $700.

Well here is the link Reefreak.. one of the lights I have found.

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Panorama LED Fixtures

Pacific Sun LED's are awesome.....and have the price to match. A bunch of ppl from Manhatten Reefs did a group buy on these.

Thanks CCcapt for the link I will add that to my research list.

I have the aqua illumination modules, $629/12" of tank from reefgeek.com

Feel free to come see them up in MA if you'd like!

Thanks Parrotchute for the link, I know you posted it before but for the life of me I was unable to find it even through your build thread.

As for a visit I might have to take you up on that.... I am going to be in Northboro in morning to work in the warehouse for over time. You are only like an hour from Northboro.

Definitely love your LED system, but did not want to copy you :)

As for T5HO not interested in them, I am looking for a system that is more energy efficent with longer bulb life.

Although I have just found a site where you buy there bulbs but instead of normal tubes they are filled with LEDs! I got to check for the link, supposedly plug play into any system. Here it is dont know if these can be used but pretty nifty

Led Fluorescent Lights T8 Bulbs : LED Tubes : Ledliquidatorsinc.com

Yea, if you ever want to visit, just shoot me a message. I don't work most Mondays, so that's always a good time...
I don't think it'd be copying me unless you got all my same fish and same corals! I'm a big fan of my lights, and definitely like promoting them...I think the price is going to drop significantly in the next 1-2 years with the massive competition that's being seen.

Yea, if you ever want to visit, just shoot me a message. I don't work most Mondays, so that's always a good time...
I don't think it'd be copying me unless you got all my same fish and same corals! I'm a big fan of my lights, and definitely like promoting them...I think the price is going to drop significantly in the next 1-2 years with the massive competition that's being seen.
Well I keep that in mind Mondays are kinda ruff for me due to all the work that backs up over the week end but I take days off once a month maybe all move a Friday to a Monday to take a ride....

Well, there's always after work, weekends, whenever. I'm always happy to show off my tank!

There are some good LFS in the area for you to check out too, so that's somethin. Anyway, shoot me a PM any time.

I didn't list the ecoxotic because you will need two of the 23-1/2'' module at $760 a piece.But then again,you would need more than one ATI module too.

Good luck in your search.Let us know what you find.

I am thinking of grabbing two of ecoxotics, or maybe building my own using the LED modules that are on the same sight. Not sure got see whats cheaper. Although the AI system looks great.

I know you said you're not interested in T5s because of the electricity bill and having to change the bulbs often... But for what you will spend on that T5 fixture, you will save money considering the cost of LEDs.

Your electric bill will be lower if you use T5s instead of MH (which you have now), and you only have to change the bulbs every 12 to 18 months. And the bulbs are cheaper than MH bulbs.

For what one LED system costs, you could buy 5 good T5 fixtures. The added electricity cost and bulb cost is negligible compared to the upfront cost of LEDs at this point in time.

I know you said you're not interested in T5s because of the electricity bill and having to change the bulbs often... But for what you will spend on that T5 fixture, you will save money considering the cost of LEDs.

Your electric bill will be lower if you use T5s instead of MH (which you have now), and you only have to change the bulbs every 12 to 18 months. And the bulbs are cheaper than MH bulbs.

For what one LED system costs, you could buy 5 good T5 fixtures. The added electricity cost and bulb cost is negligible compared to the upfront cost of LEDs at this point in time.

I thought and please correct me if Im wrong that for a good reef tank there should be 6-9 watts per gallon? I also like the shimmer of the halides just not the heat given off by them. With LED systems I have noticed that it falls under a different system lumens over watts per gallon I think. If watts per gallon is correct I need at least 540w to 810w per gallon. With the T5s ten bulb fixtures I have seen them hit 540watts over $1000 with bulbs.

Here's another option.
nanocustoms

and some ppl who use them...
Par 38 LED spotlights - Reef Central Online Community
Thanks for the links, I had found similar bulbs on line the link above. Although those bulbs had a lower K level like 6000k apposed to 14000k. I was going to order one to use in my refugium.

Back