Led par

Spaz059

Reefing newb
I don't know if this has been talked about before or not, but do PAR numbers actually relate to LED's it seems from the LEDs that I have researched (name brands) the PAR numbers are significantly lower than that of a halide. Yet they still produce the same amount of growth and in most cases more, and much better colors! Input?

Look at this comparison with the Radion.

Attachments

• 8548956995_5184e52204_c.jpg
    8548956995_5184e52204_c.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4,196
Interesting so lets say I didn't want to pay the 7+ hundred dollars to light my tank, and I wanted to get a kessil from the readings that I have seen is not to far off from the ecotech, but a little shallower not to 29" that is for sure. Would I be able to propagate corals and clams with out any issues?

Tank Dimensions

48x16x21, plan to do a 2in sand bed 19" depth to the sand.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Kessils are great, too. However, most do not run their lights at 100% as depicted in that graph. I think u usually see readings of 50-70% max in threads, but I could be wrong. Part of it is how well you acclimate your corals to the new lighting.

Kessils are actually great for deep tanks. The A350 I have is running at like 35% white 50% blue. Any higher and my LPS are getting too much light. I read a blog where this guy turned his Kessils up to 50% and bleached his SPS. They are powerful!

Good to know about the acclimation, Chichi what kind of acclimation did you use with your kessil? Also is 2 A150w enough for the tank dimensions I post or should I look at 2 a350n/w or a360n/w?

Kessils are great, too. However, most do not run their lights at 100% as depicted in that graph. I think u usually see readings of 50-70% max in threads, but I could be wrong. Part of it is how well you acclimate your corals to the new lighting.
You'd be surprised. My Radions are now at 85%, and I bump the intensity 5% every other month.

Good to know about the acclimation, Chichi what kind of acclimation did you use with your kessil? Also is 2 A150w enough for the tank dimensions I post or should I look at 2 a350n/w or a360n/w?

The A150 is not enough light for your tank, unless you had a minimum of 4 of them. Either a pair of the A350 or A360 standard would do well mounted above your tank. Minimum 8" above the water.

Make sure that any Par data you read has been adjusted for the very blue output of most LED fixtures, par readings can be as much as 20-25% low if they are not corrected to account for blue light that is not 'seen' by the par meter

Corals can be burned by led fixtures, because the light tends to be much more focused due to how the light is produced (versus a halide or T5 bulb)

As far as fixtures go, I would look at Radions, the Hydra/Sol/Vega from AI, the Kessils, or the DIY route if you're handy with electronics

I would go with the a360's if you want to program them in down the line. I run my leds at 85% on max from 11am to 6pm with a 2 hour ramp up and down. I see alot of awesome growth and they do support great coral growth, and nem growth. I cant honestly say how great they are with clams, my hermits ate my 3inch koks island maxima this week......
You will not be let down by these lights, they are great.

Fast, you and Mario are the first I've heard at that range, so acclimation point proven. :)
Whatever fixture you choose, just go low intensity and kick it up gradually. Maybe 5% every other week until you're around ~65% and then slow it down, but also watch how your corals react.

+1 chichi. You must have one per instructions and performance. Im glad to see posts on things people have operated and have had results!

It all depends on what type of coral, size and depth of tank, and time light application is applied. Percentages is only knowen if a programmer is provided, at least on kessils, and from there its how the corals grow. One cannot say "70%" is absolute when every application varies.

Fast, you and Mario are the first I've heard at that range, so acclimation point proven. :)
Whatever fixture you choose, just go low intensity and kick it up gradually. Maybe 5% every other week until you're around ~65% and then slow it down, but also watch how your corals react.

My Sol's have been running at 100% on all channels for a few months now, but it took a while to get there

Cool, thank you guys for the information. I am going to go with the A360 just not sure if I should go with the wide or narrow version.

Back