LED vs. Fluorescent

Carli

Reefing newb
My boyfriend and I have a new 55 gallon tank. We were wondering which types of lights is best for fish, anemones, and corals?

My boyfriend is also wondering if the pipe coming from the tank into the sump should be gurgling/making noises or if that's normal or not?

I like led better than fluorescent.

Is the drain pipe gurgling at the water inlet at the tank? What type of drain are you running? Ie standpipe, durso, bean animal ?

Lighting:

Your fish don't care.
Anemones need strong lighting but it doesn't matter which kind.
Coral need low to strong lighting, depending on the coral, but they don't care which kind either.

See a pattern here? Metal Halide, and T5 florescent lighting are both proven technologies that will grow anything you can throw at them. LED lighting is still in its infancy but it's really coming along quickly. All three are perfectly capable, although LED will be the most expensive and you'll need to do quite a bit of research for an LED light that will fit your budget yet have the capabilities that you need. There is a lot of junk out there. And there is advantages and disadvantages to all three options.

LEDs run cooler, use less energy, and never need bulb replacement. Classic high outlay for long term savings.

Here's an example of Led's, I run 2- AI sol super blues on this 90 gallon tank.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 283
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 286
Back