Led vs Metal Halide!!! HELP

reef_bug

RonBurgundy
Here's my problem currently running a 65 gallon reef and fish tank for the past four years. Just bought a 210 gallon i'm making my own refugium out of a 75 gallon tank. I've been reading a lot on led's and most people are saying Orphek system is the way to go. Yes more expensive up front but long run pays off. Metal halide everyone knows about whats your guys opinion and experience. Thanks:grumble:

My vote is in for Aqua Illumination lights - I've been using them and they are wonderful. And putting out a LOT of light - more than enough to sustain hard corals and clams.

Thanks for the info, currently in my reef tank i have all soft corals but when i make the switch i want to add hard corals. Will T5 lighting system be strong enough to support theses? If so what kind of bulbs should i go with?:grumble:

T5 is strong enough to keep anything, if you have the right number of bulbs (and individual reflectors help too). How long is your tank? There are good T5 systems that are 48" long that will allow you to keep whatever you want. I use T5s over my 90.

Given LED is new technology, it does save a lot of energy costs so that's a huge plus in my book. If money isn't a problem, Metal Halide is a great lighting choice. I've seen the ecoray lighting that winnie has and they look really good as well!

Oh sorry, I thought you were speaking of your 65.

For a 210, it will be difficult to use T5s. I know there are some 72" fixtures out there, but the depth of the tank would be better suited to MH or LED.

ya thats what i figured do u know anything about the Orphek Led systems? I want to stay away from the chiller with the metal halides! Lots of power!

You most likely won't need a chiller with MH lights. Very few people use chillers. Even over my 240, I had 4 x 250 watt MH and T5s and didn't need a chiller... And I live in Arizona where it's really hot.

I've never heard of the Orpheks, but the other brands mentioned already seem to be popular.

how close are you running your halides to the water and whats your average temp? Are u just running atinic's with the MH? Cause my 65 gal, I have 4-48' VHO with a fan on my sump and my temp is around 78-79 and i keep the temp in my house at 74. Im in south florida and think its going be tough to run it without a chiller.:grumble:

78 to 79 is perfect. Even low 80s is fine. As long as the temps are stable.

My halides were about 12" from the surface, and I had two clip on fans blowing across the water.

Right now, I have a 90 gallon, and my tank's temp stays between 82 and 84. My house's temp stays in the high 70s to low 80s.

ya thats what i figured do u know anything about the Orphek Led systems? I want to stay away from the chiller with the metal halides! Lots of power!

What if you had a suspended MH fixture? Wouldn't that help with heat issues so you might not need a chiller?

LED's are definitely the way to go if the upfront cost is affordable to you.
Feature Article: Quantitative Comparison of Reef Aquarium Lighting Technologies: Metal Halide, T5 Fluorescent and LED | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
"Based on this quantitative data, is its quite obvious that the LEDs have come of age in providing a viable solution to lighting reef aquaria. While a lot of other factors that may be involved in making decisions such as power savings, cost, longevity, controllability, cost of ownership etc. these are not the factors considered here. Based solely on quantitative light output data, I am excited about the future of this technology for reef aquarium use. "

I've never heard of this brand.
What is their pricing and features/programming like compared to the Aqua Illumination Sol LEDs?

I looked up this brand. Chinese made (not necessarily a bad thing) and lots of shilling on reefcentral. :scratchch

I looked up this brand. Chinese made (not necessarily a bad thing) and lots of shilling on reefcentral. :scratchch

Shilling or not they do have a nice fixture and near as I can tell they are the only ones out there who actually have a 15k white LED.

Saw some of the AI Sol blues....way too blue for my tastes....

Orphek fixture appears to be the best substitute for MH.

This is a side by side comparison on a private tank. The video is halfway down.

Orphek | superior led lighting

Back