LED vs MH

Looking forward to seeing it wonton!

How're yours working out? We're going to try using the p7's (probably going to buy just 2 for now, just to see if it has a spotlight effect). I think your AI uses Cree XR-E's.

I'll definitely be posting my project :)

Mine are freaking amazing! I wouldn't go back - yeah, it uses those Crees.

My favorite thing about the LEDs is how I can control them with my ProfiLux controller; I can have a billion set points, so I can really tune how much light and what type (White or blue) at any time.

I just went and ordered a p7 to play with. Just one, so we can try out ways to wire it, check to see how much of a spotlight effect it will cause, so we can determine how many we need to get. Then I'll probably test it out on my mushrooms that are in my sump temporarily (they're under a regular 15watt t8 that's really close to it -- they are doing fine under it, actually). I want to see how they respond.

DealExtreme: $15.20 SSC P7 C-Bin LED Emitter with 21mm Heat Sink Base (3.6V~3.7V)

Should be here in a week or two (slow ordering process from them, but they're the cheapest I've found so far). Too bad I don't have any way to get par readings.

I think the price of LEDs will drop quicker if people in the community determine a good do it yourself setup with them. If you could put together a setup for a third of the price I think a lot of people would do it. I know that if someone posted plans online I would try and put a setup together.

I just went and ordered a p7 to play with. Just one, so we can try out ways to wire it, check to see how much of a spotlight effect it will cause, so we can determine how many we need to get. Then I'll probably test it out on my mushrooms that are in my sump temporarily (they're under a regular 15watt t8 that's really close to it -- they are doing fine under it, actually). I want to see how they respond.

DealExtreme: $15.20 SSC P7 C-Bin LED Emitter with 21mm Heat Sink Base (3.6V~3.7V)

Should be here in a week or two (slow ordering process from them, but they're the cheapest I've found so far). Too bad I don't have any way to get par readings.

If you use those, make sure you click the bulk discount button!!!! It will bring the price down to around 13.50 then if you have 3 or more in your cart

I know this is mainly a MH vs. LED thread.

I believe in the next couple of years that LED/T5 hybrids will be the big thing.LED had quite a few years on the market now and prices still haven't dropped significantly.Sfiligoi came out recently with a hybrid(fully controllable).ATI and Aquactinics are suppose to have their models before the end of the year.If mainstream companies like Current jump in,we may just see these as common as T5-HO fixtures are today.

Galaxy T5

Hey, anything to improve the hobby!

I remember though when I first joined here and mentioned LED people screamed LOL But it's the diy projects that are really advancing the hobby -- because new techniques don't exist, people are inclined to just diy a better method, and in turn, catching the eye of big companies.

Thanks bj -- I'll be sure to hit that when I'm ready to order my bulk set :) I didn't think it was "3"...I thought when they say "bulk" it meant like 50 LOL

I agree LED is the way to go. The crappy CF bulbs they are pushing now only last a few months then become dim. I went back to incandescent and give up on the CF bulbs. LED is getting more popular in cars,houses, motorcycles so it should become main stream fairly quick. Plus they last practically forever.

LED is getting more popular in cars,houses, motorcycles so it should become main stream fairly quick. Plus they last practically forever.

This is very true. So many of the 2010 model cars have LEDs for taillights, turn signals, brake lights, etc. My 2009 Jetta has LEDs on the inside too. They are really gaining in popularity all over the place.

I have a BC 29 that I upgraded with LEDs through Nanotuners (sent the hood in and they modified it, etc.)

Overall the cost wasn't much more expensive that going with a MH upgrade/customization option and the overall cost is so much cheaper - in many ways. Reduced heat, electricity usage, consumables (bulbs) and maintenance.

The moment I installed the new LED lighting growth in my tank took off - unfortunately that included algae growth - so some adjustment of light timing was necessary.

I don't really believe the LED technology is going to be 3-5yrs away for this hobby; although given the economy that may not be true. However, I see a lot of new ads, articles and out-of-box systems becoming available with relatively low prices.

I think the new thing that will take a while to pick up is the plasma-based lighting. I've seen articles, write-ups and demos and it's pretty amazing - that would be fun to see in this hobby (although probably unlikely in the nano-arena).

To get the algae down, you need to keep up on water changes and keep the Nitrates and Phosphates down. It is hard on a small system I know. I have a 29 gallon tank and I am always fighting algae. It is getting alot better though.

@bjohanson - ugh I feel like if i never did another water change again my life would be happy. I do about a 20% water change weekly but I purchased a Fluval G6 a while ago and it's helped minimize growth radically - so I'm hoping I can keep on the trend as I try to migrate to a larger tank...

I will say, however, that as old as this hobby is, I'm surprised there's not an easier or more automatic way to perform water changes. I can't imagine how priceless that technology would be.

Actually you should check out D2Mini's DIY thread. He just finished setting up an automatic water change system

I'm just not sold on the LED lighting in this hobby. I have seen several different tanks with them and they just didn't look right to me. While fairly bright they seemed to leave alot of dark spaces in the tank. The first guy I saw that had one has since replaced it.

I'm just not sold on the LED lighting in this hobby. I have seen several different tanks with them and they just didn't look right to me. While fairly bright they seemed to leave alot of dark spaces in the tank. The first guy I saw that had one has since replaced it.

Have you seen parrotchute's tank? He's running LEDs and I thought his tank looked great.

There are pics in mine on my build thread, starting around January.

So far, I really like them, they look extremely natural, no gaps, and are 100% controllable though my ghl controller. I get rainy days, moon effects, full ramp up/down of the blues/whites to simulate the sunrise/set. My corals have amazing growth right now and the colors look great. Can't complain.

Back