LEDs? & t8s?

hibye

Reef enthusiast
Could you make a LED light fixture that could keep corals alive? If so what kind of LEDs? would normal LEDs work or do you need something special? I definetly don't plan on spending 3,700$ on a LED fixture or a 1,500$ on halides. My dad can make home-made halides so if we can't do LEDs we will do halides and PCs. I have another question though, can t8s be as effective as t5s or t6s?

Hibye if you dad has access to DIY halide stuff go that route. Normal output flourescents are useless on a reef tank, they would be fine on the predator tank but DIYing a LED fixture is still ultra expensive.

One of the regular customers at my LFS bought one of those LED fixtures.I wasnt impressed with it all.Pretty fixture,but the light output just wasnt there.

I have not heard great things about the LED fixtures. Some people on reefcentral have them and they are not all that. T5's are the better choice.
MH is good if you want that shimmer and if you can get them far enough away from the water surface to no transfer the intense heat to the water.
T5's run much cooler and many will argue that they make coral colors pop much nicer compared to MH.
I used to run a combo of MH and Compact Flourescent. That was a nice combo but I needed a chiller.

Back