LEDs too close?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I have 3W leds over my 180. I have four 40 light fixtures spread across the tank, two on the ends and two close together in the middle. Right now they are 7" above the water surface. The tank has two braces and those cast a shadow down into the tank no matter how close I put the two center lights. I'd like to drop the lights down 1 3/4" so the lights would be lower and possibly would be low enough that there's no shadow going down into the tank from the braces. Would a 5 1/4" gap be too close for these lights? I'm not sure how else to lose the shadow that the braces cause.

My LEDs are 8" above the water and I think they may be too close. I think the higher they are the better for color blending of the LEDs

LED shoot narrow beam of light, therefore lowering the fixture will actually be worse for your tank. The lowest recommended height I have seen on LED fixtures is 8 inches above the water.

Mine are pretty much right on top of the water (haven't hung them yet, I procrastinate) and it has terrible spotlighting. Great growth still, though.

Back