Lemonpeel Angel ????

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
I REALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF THE FISH, HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH THE Lemonpeel Angel ?????

LemonpeelAngelfish.jpg

Thanks Red, I Was Reading Up A Little, And I Think It Might Out Grow My Tank Really Fast...not Sure... Hope Doc Has Some Info !

I have a False Lemonpeel (C. Heraldi). It appears and acts the same as the true Lemonpeel except it does not have any blue around the eyes - it is pure yellow.

I bought mine as an alternative to a yellow tang. I really like the bright yellow and being a rather small fish it has been a lot less messy than a tang. It is better suited to my small (55 g) tank.

So far so good. I've had it a couple months. It fits in perfectly fine with my two damels and a Clarki Clown. It's more than aggressive enough to get it's share of food but not so much to cause any problems. It took a couple weeks to settle in but now mine will eat anything / everything - mysis, flakes, frozen plankton, Nori..... It also eats good algae off the live rock and glass. This can be a bad thing if you are trying to grow a particular algae or other plant in your tank. I had some that came with my live rock and it was all picked clean in a few hours.

I have mushrooms, a couple different kinds of zoanthids and a Galaxea. So far after several weeks my Lemonpeel completely ignores them.

I'm told many specimans can be slow/picky eaters at first. Like any fish you may want to make sure it is at least eating something before you bring it home. Mine would only eat flakes at first but after a couple weeks of working with it it now eats anything and is a very aggressive feeder. Mine was at the LFS for a while before I bought it so it was already acclimated to aquarium life.

As for size my understanding is that it shouldn't get much bigger than it's current size of about 3 1/2 inches or so. I would think it might be a good fit for your tank depending on what else is currently in there. It's considered a "Pygmy" angel. What size did your research claim it would get?

Last edited:
montoya, thank you! Well I was worried because I only have a 35 gallon hex. It's about 2 ft deep. You can check my photos out if you'd like. I wanted it to be my main focal point of the tank, being a beautiful yellow. So far I seen good for 30 gallons or better to 50 gallons or better. I would want to get one that is larger then my tomato clown but small enough to grow in the tank. As of right now I have 1 tomato clown, 2 green chromis and 1 diamond goby. I plan to get 1 royal gramma and then 1 "center piece" fish which I was hoping to be the lemonpeel .

I was thinking about my bio-load. Is they a way to find out what a good limit would be. Also the fish I have are small !!! the tomato is the biggest and he is only about an inch maybe an inch/half. same with the chromis.

Good luck finding a lemon peel that won't eat corals. They are not considered reef safe. They won't eat certain corals (basically, leathers, zoas and mushrooms are safe with angels), but anything else is fair game to them.

this is from saltwaterfish.com

Lemonpeel Angelfish (A)
Centropyge flavissimus

The Lemonpeel Angel is a stunning dwarf Angel that is yellow in color with a distinct blue ring around its eyes. These fish do very well in aquariums and prefer lots of rockwork to feel safe.
Photo by Saltwaterfish.com

Size: 2-3 inches
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Safe: Yes
Diet: Greens, Pellet, Flake
Origin: Hawaii
Acclimation Time: 3+ hours

the Lemonpeel looks like a great fish. Now I am debating on a Flame Angel or that one. Hmm I wonder if I could have both, but then again I thought two angels don't mix. Hmm such great things to debate at all hours of the day. I love this hobby.

Yeah, 2 Angles In A Small Tank Is A No No ! I Was Also Thinking About The Flame Angel, But I Have A Tomato Clown That Is A Beautiful Orange, So I Want To Get The Lemonpeel Instead. Still Not Sure What I Will Do Yet. Tomorrow I'm Picking Up A Royal Gramma So I Plenty Of Time To Think About It.

Like Biff stated.Your corals wont be safe with a lemonpeel in the tank.
They are a pretty fish,but they love the taste of coral flesh.

Right Now I'm Only Fish And Cleaners, But Next Month I Planned On Maybe Adding Some Zoos And Frogspawn !! Maybe Some Mushrooms ??? Will The Lemonpeel Eat Them??????

Lol, Thanks Guys !i Guess No Lemonpeel It Will Be. Back To Looking Again... Any Sugesstions ??????????

Back