Leopard Wrasse Not Eating...

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I bought a Splendid Leopard Wrasse six days ago. I've heard of wrasses burying in the sand for days when you first put them in your tank, but this little guy was out and about swimming around the next morning. He looks healthy (coloring is good), but he won't eat anything I give him...

At the fish store, I had the guy there feed him before I bought him. The man fed him floating pellets, and he ate just fine. I haven't tried floating pellets (because I don't have any), but I have been feeding Omega One freeze dried mysis shrimp and Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp. The wrasse ignores the food completely! The shrimp drift right by his face, and he doesn't even care! I did try a marine sinking pellet food one of the days as well; the wrasse picked at it a little, and then left it alone.

He swims around the tank all day picking at the live rock, and acts like he's eating stuff on the live rock (I don't see anything). I would think that he's eating pods on the LR, but my tank has only been set-up for 2 months, and that doesn't seem like enough time for the pod population alone to support a wrasse (I don't see any pods on the LR).

I'm planning on running to a local pet store tomorrow to see if they have any floating pellets...

Any suggestions? Do you think he is really eating enough microscopic stuff on the LR that he is full? Any diet recommendations? Any help would be great.

I too have a Leopard Wrasse. I soak the frozen mysis with garlic oil before I feed it to him. He's always eaten it. That and he'll eat frozen brine. I've never seen mine eat any pellets. Hope this helps!

If he was eating pellets at the store, you may have to go out and buy pellets. Perhaps that's the only type of food he's used to. You can gradually try to switch him over to other types of foods, but if your tank is relatively new, you'll need to supplement his feeding with something.

Something else you might try,is frozen mysis.
The odor of it along with it looking more natural may be enough to get him started eating.

I've tried feeding the wrasse frozen mysis and brine shrimp soaked in garlic, and I've tried floating pellets now too, but he still won't eat. He pecks at the pellets/shrimp and them spits them out and goes back to picking at the LR.

I just went out and bought a 6oz bottle of live tigger pods hoping they will be something for him to eat. Do I squirt the pods and liquid/water the pods are in into the tank, or should I net the pods and put them into the tank w/o the water/liquid from the bottle?

GREAT JOB. Never giving up is as much a part of this hobby as the fish themselves. Hope your wrassie does good

HE ATE!!! I just tried feeding the frozen mysis/brine shrimp soaked in garlic (the same ones he ignored yesterday), and he went CRAZY EATING!! I guess the copepods triggered his appetite!! :mrgreen:

And thanks ltjoker!! I just hope he keeps eating!

Back