Leopard wrasse

lilduud

Reefing newb
So the more I read about them the more difficult they seem. I'm starting to get second thoughts now... Anyone have experience with these?

I had one for years. But they are hit or miss. Lots of people say they are difficult to keep longer than 6 months. That seems to be the norm, unfortunately. There is someone else on here (SaltwaterNoob aka Samantha I think -- the wrasse's name is Harry?) that has also had one for quite a while. Just from my experience, I don't think they are as difficult to keep as their reputation... The hard part is getting them to eat frozen food. I think most of them die within 6 months because they starve to death. If you get one that will take frozen, you should be golden. I think they need a large tank, a tank with a refugium, and a mature system to do well.

Hmm then maybe I should just hold off on them and at least wait for my tank just to besafe. But then who will I add first? I guess I could risk the clowns ( pair of picassos for 150 at my lfs :D) as the first members since clowns are typically hardy anyway... I'll just be so sad if I loose them. If not the clowns could I do the Midas blenny first? How hardy are they in your experiece? Thanks again biff!

The clowns will probably be one of the most hardy fish you could add. They are a member of the damsel family though and if it were me, I'd want to add them last to try and avoid territorial issues when adding your other fish.

I've only had my leopard wrasse for a little over a month so I can't talk long term. But, mines been eating frozen since the Thursday I've had it in my tank. Hopefully I'll have her for a long time to come.

i guess ill ask what theyre eating at my lfs and if they eat frozen and i can confirm it ill probably go forward with the purchase and hope for the best. ill have to double check the return/death policy for them though just in case.

Back