Less fish = healthier corals

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have a 220gal with about 20 fish and 40 corals.

I do not typically have any issues but I would like some discussion on this.

If I took out half the fish would my water be easier to maintain and my corals easier to keep healthy? I am not having issues I jus want to hear some thoughts and facts on this.

Besides common sense on water quality with less fish what else is known about this.

You should post a list of the fish that you have in your tank and maybe which ones are you thinking in taking out of it. I believe that if the ones you are planning to remove are the ones that cause more bio load (maybe the bigger ones and the messier ones) your maintenance will be more easy.

This is just a thought not a fact.

Hope somebody here can answer your question with facts.

Good Luck!

I don't really have any issues I am just saying for example I cut back to 10 fish will my corals be better off.

I already maintain healthy water so I don't need to remove anything.

I don't see any problems if your fish aren't nipping your corals or bothering them. Are your water parameters good for corals? I mean your calcium, magnesium, etc. If they are not thriving maybe is because they are lacking something to do it and not for the number if fish in your tank.

Hope somebody with more knowledge in this can help you out.

My water is fine. Levels are great.

I do not have any problems.

I just posted an idea/question to see what info is out there.

On paper, overall maintenance will be easier so you would be more likely to do them. This will equate to better water quality and happier corals.

With that said, if you do not feel overwhelmed with tank maintenance with the current bioload then there is no need to cut back on fish.
There would be no significant improvement in the tank conditions because you are already ahead of the curve.

If your nitrates are low or even zero then there is no reason to reduce the fish. The fish add to the nutrients in the water so more nutrients makes for higher nitrates. some corals actually like slightly higher nitrates some don't, so it al lreally depends on your bio load and where your nitrates and phosfates are at atm. if there a little high then yes removing a couple fish will help reduce them and make for healthier corals. I like to try and keep my nitrates at around 1 to 3 ppm seems like all my corals including acroporas do good in the nitrates around that. My LPS seem to like it a little more when its around 3ppm tords the end before my water change and the sps and acros like it better right after a water change. Could also be that its fresh ca. mg. and all that when I do the water change that the sps like lol. But the key is trying to keep everything stable.

It depends on the tank. Some tanks the fish load wont make any difference, to a point. While in others even litely stocked with fish causes some major issues. So thats one you'll have to decide for yourself.

Without actual scientific data to back this up, I would say that as long as you are keeping nitrates and phosphates in check, the more fish the better.
More fish = more fish poo = more coral food.

I gotta say I agree with Dennis on this one...I used to have a reef that was doing "okay" and I added several fish and it began doing "GREAT"

A friend who was one of the most amazing reefkeepers I've ever known gave me that hint and it really worked!

Back