Let the 1st fish suggestions fly

tp1011

Reefing newb
Ok tank has cycled, cuc is in and its time to get my first saltwater fish,any suggestions
I would like to get clown and later some sort of sand sifter.

So please let the suggestions fly!!!!

BTW I have a 29gal BC

Thanks again Living Reef friends

A clown is a good hardy fish. Since you are limited in the number of fish you can keep to around three for that size tank it is not a bad choice. A green chromis is another option and is more on the peaceful side. For a three fish combo.....For size and color you could go blue damsel (yes they are aggressive but is very hardy and great color) or green choromis (hardy not as good a color) Clown and sleepier bandied goby...:twocents:

Have you decided what kind of clown you want? My personal favorite sifting goby is the diamond goby. Other then that I'd check out a small wrasse, they're colorful and very active swimmers.

Have you decided what kind of clown you want? My personal favorite sifting goby is the diamond goby. Other then that I'd check out a small wrasse, they're colorful and very active swimmers.

My sand sifter is something else! I goes direclty to the clam and dumps his mouth full of sand on the clam. I kept moving the clam and the goby keeps going to the clam

I'd get a pair of clowns and a little tiny goby. They are so cool! I'd get the goby first (less bioload in a newly cycled tank) and then get the clown pair in a month or two.

the sleepier bandied is also a sifter but the one I had was tidy. he sifted the heck out of the sand but never made much of a mess and the green, black/brown bands color with the bright blue strips is just awesome looking to me.

Yup,,,need a good pod population. Some will eat frozen but not all. Mine wont touch frozen food at all. I have tons of pods but keep adding to them just to be sure.

Please feel free to google mandarin goby/dragnet. This is a non new issue and the results are death. I was the dumb ass who didnt listen and i spent lots of money to prove everyone wrong. Dammit, everyone was 100% right

A 29 is a bit small for one and this tank is way to new. My 45 has been up since September but the rock in it I have had since 09 shoot some longer then that. Also my refugium was transferred from my old tank as well and that was running 4 years. I was still hesitant but looking at my tank with the lights out and using a flashlight the rocks where crawling....pods everywhere. all shapes and sizes...

Check out discussions on sump/refugium and copepods, lots of beliefs on even if they make it to the display tank (dt) lots of folks believe they stay in the sumps/refugium and if they do move, can they even make it through the pump? I dont know, but ted is true, adding copepods to be safe, but the tank can only handle so many and they die off. Lots of questions on them yet. The lfs will sell the mandarian to you, supply and demand, its money in their pocket and out of yours.

If you can find one that is eating frozen foods, which doesnt seem to be nearly as difficult as it used to be, it will do fine in your tank. Just dont get one that is only eating pods, that will lead to a huge heartache.

Well last weekend I got my first fish, a clown, it's a tanked raised clown and he is doing good.
I think maybe a couple of weeks and I will get him a friend and hopefully they will pair.
Should I get some sort of a anemone for him? he tends to hang out on top of the tank and on the left side for some reason.Maybe when I get him friend he will use more of the tank.

Back