Let the journey begin.

I have enjoyed reading your post. Your doing well. The so called daisy coral or whatever ur lfs calls it ibs a type of clove polyp called a pipe organ. When it closes the tubes they retract into resemble the pipes on an church organ.

Your doing great, love the clowns especially. Once your coral starts to grow, your tank is really going to explode with beauty. +1 On a good job so far. Keep at it! :)

New additions to the tank!
d9e025ca-8261-4eb5-b211-86917aa1df37_zps6df6fed1.jpg

New Candy Cane Coral. I thought this was really pretty, has great color.
ee6fc1b6-b0bb-4a5c-8e1b-b5d8adf760a4_zps3eb792aa.jpg

Flower Pot Coral, notice all the new coralline algae? Please tell me that's what all the new pink growth on all my rock is....it sure is starting to show up on all the rock through the whole tank.
2d4010b0-79ae-4dd1-b81f-cb09bf81bceb_zps5865f71a.jpg

Little Emerald Crab
When this mushroom went into the tank about 3 weeks ago the one in the middle was about the size of the one on the left, it covers another one on the right completely now.
DSCN0337_zps6a22c380.jpg

Pipe Organ looking good.
DSCN0333_zpsd314c9d2.jpg

now I know that this looks pretty week compared to some of your tanks out there but I thought this represented a good history and timeline for those of you starting a tank from scratch with all dry rock and seeding it with some small pieces of live rock like I have done. It has been fun watching this tank come to life. Seems like things change daily. It's 1 month and 21 days now.

Last edited:
the pipe organ coral look great - its not a completely easy coral either. the flower pot (goniopora) has fairly specific husbandry requirements - you should read up on it. but everything looks great!

Okay 2 months and 17 days into my new SWT. Update, I have been pretty busy as well as out of town for a week. Good test for all the equipment and everything worked perfectly. I did a water change just before I left and everything tested perfect when I returned so that felt good. My corals seem to be doing great, however I have struggled with the fish. I think it's because I just rushed things a little bit so I lost a few Green Chromis, but nothing showed up on any of the test as far as ammonia, nitrtite and nitrate. All remained at 0. If I had a little spike going on it didn't show up in the testing. So the stocking list is as follows
1 Diamond Gobby
2 Clowns
1 Green Chromis
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
Several snails and Hermit Crabs
DSCN0400_zpsdb0ebfc7.jpg

Frog Spawn
DSCN0396_zpse27ff3d4.jpg

Flower Pot
DSCN0394_zpsfb2a6b8f.jpg

Gobby, I don't think this guy has missed a 1/4 inch of sand in my tank...he seems to be enjoying himself!
DSCN0393_zpsc245ea9c.jpg

Kenya Tree and Cleaner Shrimp
DSCN0391_zps54995ce3.jpg

Candy Cane and Ricordia
DSCN0388_zpsa3e95b1c.jpg

Mushroom and the one on the left is new...Any guesses? It radiates just like the candy cane when the moon lights are on.
DSCN0386_zps1a7373d2.jpg

Star Polyp and Pipe Organ
DSCN0383_zps8ec16834.jpg

Zoa's and Green Mushroom
DSCN0382_zps0df3ae8c.jpg

Goniopora?
DSCN0380_zpsabe8917d.jpg

All the rock is starting to look like live rock. The color is really starting to come in nicely. So there you have it at 2 and 1/2 months....Barch

Okay 2 months and 17 days into my new SWT. Update, I have been pretty busy as well as out of town for a week. Good test for all the equipment and everything worked perfectly. I did a water change just before I left and everything tested perfect when I returned so that felt good. My corals seem to be doing great, however I have struggled with the fish. I think it's because I just rushed things a little bit so I lost a few Green Chromis, but nothing showed up on any of the test as far as ammonia, nitrtite and nitrate. All remained at 0. If I had a little spike going on it didn't show up in the testing. So the stocking list is as follows
1 Diamond Gobby
2 Clowns
1 Green Chromis
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
Several snails and Hermit Crabs
DSCN0400_zpsdb0ebfc7.jpg

Frog Spawn
DSCN0396_zpse27ff3d4.jpg

Flower Pot
DSCN0394_zpsfb2a6b8f.jpg

Gobby, I don't think this guy has missed a 1/4 inch of sand in my tank...he seems to be enjoying himself!
DSCN0393_zpsc245ea9c.jpg

Kenya Tree and Cleaner Shrimp
DSCN0391_zps54995ce3.jpg

Candy Cane and Ricordia
DSCN0388_zpsa3e95b1c.jpg

Mushroom and the one on the left is new...Any guesses? It radiates just like the candy cane when the moon lights are on.
DSCN0386_zps1a7373d2.jpg

Star Polyp and Pipe Organ
DSCN0383_zps8ec16834.jpg

Zoa's and Green Mushroom
DSCN0382_zps0df3ae8c.jpg

Goniopora?
DSCN0380_zpsabe8917d.jpg

All the rock is starting to look like live rock. The color is really starting to come in nicely. So there you have it at 2 and 1/2 months....Barch
looks awesome. im in a similar boat as you about 3 months in with a 65 gallon. no coral yet. what lights are you running? thats my next expense..

Tanks coming along great man. Do you have a QT set up? If not, do it. Trust me, just got a Neon Goby that came home with Ich. Thank God I had one to set up to treat him and my yellow clown goby in >_>

Nice tank. I really like the corals that you have picked out. I am thinking about starting to stock my 75gal with some reef friendly fish so I can do some corals in that but for now i just started a 15gal with black and white misbar clown for my reef tank. Keep up the good work with your setup can't wait to see how things work out.

Just an update. The tank is progressing nicely, it's been going 3 months and 14 days. This has been pretty cool watching it develope. I have made a few additions.

Pulsating Xenia

Hard Tube Coco Worm

Fire Fish in front of the Flower Pot

another Star Polyp

another Zoa

Blue Mushroom

Toadstool Leather

this is how we look today....

Back