Lets Just Hope......

not much to look for. Testing is the only way to "see" whats going on. Nitrites are also lethal to fish. Also means basically your tank isnt ready yet for a new life.

well

beliave me i'm ready to wait and i will keep updating the status here and u can bet i'm not trying to messed up again that's why i'm asking u so tell me about the nitrite check!

if you have dip strips it should be on there. But for a true reading, get the salifert kit, youll need all the tests anyways. May as well get it while your cycling. If you take some water to the pet store, they should be able to test it all for you until you get a kit.

You can buy single kits of nitrite though.

2 weeks have past

ok so now it's been 2 weeks in to the 55 gallon cycling and now the ammo is on 0 and the nitrate is on 10. It's been a month for my other 29 gallon with 2 inches of live sand, skimmer and hang on filter with 20 pounds of live sand and it went from ammo 6.1 on my kit which is the highest with a 110 on nitrate which is the highest. no it comes out on 0.1 on ammo and 110 on nitrate and the last water change was done 2 weeks ago. so should i let it bee and hope for the nitrate to go to 0. or make constant water changes untill it goes to 0?

is the live rock as new as the sand.maybe the live rock is extra funky from shipping ect.you never know what is the little holes in live rock.i had a similer problem when i started with fish. just before the cycle was complete my girlfriend decided to suprise me by putting some live rock she got cheap and a large dogface puffer. between the rock and the fish waste my tank pretty much had to cycle all over. daily waterchanges and testing keep every thing alive but my wallet

bingo!

Aite then now my 55 gallon tank is 0 on everything and i finally made it work after messing with it for more than 2 months thanks to reefwannabe, jhnrb, ckam, wallmart super center, petland, feathers and friends pet store in georgia, tropical treasures petstore in georgia, us. army and the miniature aircraft rc company. :bounce: :bowdown: :bounce:

Last edited:
if ammonia and nitrite are down, and nitrate is 10, you can add maybe 2 small fish, say 1 inch at most. I started with 2 clowns that size. Keep up with water parameters, and go slow with addition of fish.

u got it

yeah u got it i'll keep u guys updated. tomorrow i will throw in a 1 foot long carp atleast that's what they recommended me from the local fish market lol :Cheers:

well

this is just a bi weekly check up on my 29 and the 55 and they both doing good on the ammo and the nitrate went up a littlebit but will go down once i do my weekly filter and water top offs tonight so yeah doing good here. :Cheers:

Don't repeat history

It seems as if you hvae been getting great information. I think the best thing you can do is sit and wait it out. Add nothing to your tank for a minimum of a month. Your lionfish needs to wait another two months before adding back in to your tank. I am the most inpatient person on earth and I hope you listen to me when I say that I did similar things when I started my tank a year ago. Time will be your best friend. Add some live bacteria from for LFS and wait, wait, wait. I actually had to make construction paper rings to count down the days before I could add fish. Let your live rock do it's job. I could be wrong, but some of your rock does not look very pourous - almost like a granite or something like that. If that is the case, it may take longer for bacteria to settle in. They like holes to live in. If you are not patient, the problem will persist and you will waste money and fish. Please, stop adding fish and just wait it out. There is no other safe way. I have been where you are and I know the frustration. Trust me when I say that the satisfaction of a healthy tank is worth it. Take a look at my pics - it is worth it. Good luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Well basically, your ammonia shouldnt go up if nothing else has been added to the tank and died. You need to find where its coming from. The only thing that should go up now is nitrate. Once you add more things you get small cycles again, but only if life is added and dies off.

Back