lets see how this goes i guess

youtoo54

Reefing newb
Just changed another 80g or so of water. New water is from the faucet and is measuring 0 ppm nitrates. Tank was on scale around 100ppm. I ve changed about 200 gallons so far at different times and have cut my feeding back to 1/2 a cube twice a week.

if you arent conditoning the tap water, its going to contain nitrates, phosphates, silicates and other stuff that will make maintaining an aquarium difficult - you should really look into RO/DI water - either from a grocery store, LFS, or your own RO/DI unit

Have you verified the readings using a second kit? I've had false readings from API kits in the past

I check the water before I put it in my tank and nothing shows up as far as nitrates before I put it in my tank. I have had my water checked at both my LFS and both said I have high nitrates in my water.

Do you test your tap before or after you add salt?

Even if you treat your tap for chlorine or other things, the conditioners do not necessarily remove other minerals. I'd switch to rodi if I were you.

Sounds like your test kit may be off. Next time let the lfs test your tap water before you do anything to it, to see if its there. You have to start the process of elimination to get to the root of the problem.

Your tank is cycling, plain and simple. No matter how much water you change the nitrates are going to stay high...You could empty it, fill it right back up and your nitrates would be high..

You bought the tank 3 weeks ago, some of the rock, etc had some die off, and it's cycling again.

After you bought it, you added livestock..the tank never had time to build up enough bacteria to keep up with the bioload....

Check your nitrites...Tell us what they are...I'd imagine they're still readable.

Last edited:
I dont know exactly what the level was but both LFS said my nitrites were low today.

Right...Low is not ZERO. Your tank is cycling. It's nearing the end of the cycle, but it's still cycling.

Are you starting to see brown sand in pockets of the tank?

Ok. so you've got probably at least another 2 weeks before the nitrates start to drop down to respectable levels.

We have the same tank..Things happen much slower in our tanks than others because of the amount of water. A 55-75g tank may cycle signifcantly faster than our tanks, just because of the water volume.

You didn't help by running out and throwing a bunch of fish in. (just being honest)...that slowed the cycle even more, and is the reason why the trigger died.

You have a few options at this point.

1. Pull all of the livestock out of the tank, take it back to the store for credit. (you're gonna lose your ass on it, but.....)
2. You can leave the livestock in the tank, and risk losing everything, and not getting any money back.
3. You can continually do 30g water changes every other day, just to try and keep the nitrites and nitrates to a minimum, which will cost you an arm and a leg.

Those are really your only options at this point.

Or I have my 55 gallon tank that completed its cycle a few weeks ago that has nothing but 1 damsel and some snail that I could put them in for now?

Back