Lets talk about shrimp

Hate to get back off the subject, but Peppermint shrimp, are they safe for a reef tank? I have hear some conflicting opinions. I like the thought of something that can kill things I don't want in my tank. Unsure of them, though.

Peppermint shrimp
image.jpg

Camelback shrimp
image.jpg

OK, I have an idea about a shrimp rearing vessel. My thought is there isn't enough volume for larval shrimp and much like discus rearing, there is something they secrete that has to be eliminated in order for this to work on a commercial basis. When I reared food shrimp, I was doing a slow 100% water change over the course of 10 days and had a 90% rearing success. We will see if my hypothesis is correct in about 3 months.

Are you talking about raising feeder shrimp?
I'd be interested to learn how to raise those for a 350 FOWLR tank I have in the future.

Are you talking about raising feeder shrimp?
I'd be interested to learn how to raise those for a 350 FOWLR tank I have in the future.
Raising them for something like that wouldn't be too bad. I will warn you, they are VERY labor intensive to do. There's green water to keep up with, then rotifers and the other zooplankton. It's not something that I'd want to do on an ongoing basis.

Oh, ok, I see the humped back now. And that it is longer. I should be able to tell the difference now.

I also read once in I think it was Tropical Fish Hobbyist about raising feeder shrimp. Sounds really labor intensive.

Back