LFS? The ocean is my LFS!

Rufio808

Reefing newb
Aloha kakou!

It's been awhile since I posted anything on the forums here! It's great to see a lot of new and old faces. Hope all is well in everyone's lives and tanks!

Well I haven't kept my tank (20L) for awhile now and instead I've been sharing a tank with my girlfriend (12g) with a pair of clowns and a damsel. We're planning on making a huge upgrade though in the future! Hopefully 100g+.

We wanted a bigger tank as to of course, have more fish! We're planning on our stock and I'd love to possibly catch some of the stock myself here in Hawaii! The following is all speculation as of now. I might not be able to catch all these fish but there is a local LFS that does carry all of the following.

1. Yellow tang
2. Achilles tang
3. Whitecheek tang
4. Pair of clowns
5. Hippo tang (LFS)

Catching the juveniles may not be too difficult, I'm not sure. Fish are fast! I've already seen many of these diving, along with baby Picassos and various wrasses.

Cheers,

Rufio

Sounds cool but like Smitty said check the local regulations, especially since there has been a lot of news lately about Hawaii trying to make it harder for ornamental fish collection there.

I know clownfish, in particular, are generally healthier when bought from a breeder, not to mention the ridiculous increase in catching of wild specimens following the nemo movies. I have a fancy mocha clown from Susatainable Aquatics, google it, it's a beautiful mix that is quickly becoming my favorite despite only being in the tank five days.

I wouldn't mind catching some fish, but, like they've stated, check regulations And, if it is actually okay, don't try and harvest fish that are underpopulated. Other then that, I'd kill for a chance to try catching some live fish, even if I didn't keep em. Just to be able to do it, is worth the catch and release :D

I was over on Kauai last week and was with a friend who lives there. We went out at night by a boat dock when the wind was not blowing. He used a spotlight to see the sleeping fish in the shallow water. We got a small porcupine puffer and a yellow and black butterfly fish. We saw tons of them and took only ones of appropriate size for the big tank he takes care of. He says it's ok to take fish that are in abundance around there. It was easy to scoop them up with a net from the shore or the boat dock. Both of the fish are doing well in the tank now.

From what I understand in Hawaii you can't have corals and other stuff is limited as well. Also you can't import any of that stuff for fear of some of it ending up in the ocean if it became unwanted in the future .

Back