Light acclimation question

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
If you already have corals and introduce a new one, do you turn the lighting back and increase 15 minutes a day? Doesn't this light reduction impact the other corals? How can you acclimate new corals without cutting back on the light for the ones you alreay have?

Last edited:
start the coral out lower in your tank and slowly bring it up in the tank.and if you do reduce the light time, it will not hurt your other corals. they will be fine.

i dont change my light cycle really i just start the coral out low and turn off 6 of my lights for a day and then turn them all on the next day and every 3 or 4 days i move the coral to were i want it.

I usually just put new corals on the sand for the first day or 2,then start moving them up slowly.

I do the same as Yote. Start them out low and maybe under some shade from an overhanging rock. Move them up a few inches each week until I have them where I want.

I never change my light cycle because they are on a remote control timer and it's a pain in the ass to adjust all 3 channels. Daylights, actinics and monlights. They are set and I don't screw around with them. Not even for daylight savings. Right now my tank comes on at like 10am and goes off at 8pm. When the time changes, they come on at 9am and off at 7pm. The corals don't know the time changed and I think it's better not to screw with them.

Back