light bulb make difference?

Anthony357

Reefing newb
i just was wondering today, if i bought a current usa light 30", when those bulbs burn out or need to be replaced, can i replace them with a higher watt bulb or something than what came with it? i guess im wondering if the wattage can be increased by just buying a different bulb and putting it in the fixture? would that work/be something feasable?

ahh ok gotcha, it just came to me and i started wondering, i think i have enought for some non quite light demanding corals and xenias and what not, but am probably going to upgrade the lights when these burn out, i will probably be ready to put bta's and clams in there then...

Plug and Play,not exactly.Its just the ballast and bulb.You will need to mount it inside a canopy,old fixture or built a housing for it.There's some wiring from the bulb to the ballast that needs to be done too.

ahh ok, gotcha!

...so basically what your saying is if i want more power, i really do have to shell out like 3-4 hundred on a nice light system...lol

On your 55g?
Well Anthony,it all depends on what corals you want.You can get a Nova Extreme(216w T5) fixture and you might be unlimited.Some corals might have to be set higher up,closer to the light.Its $215 from Dr. Fosters.

Ya that fixture is pretty nice, lots of light, you could keep pretty much anything under them lights. T5 are a lot different than pcs and MH, follow freaks advice, he is the light masta!

so on that 216, thats like what, almost 4 watts per gallon? that is pretty good for some types of corals and what not, but if i was to add types of anemones and clams later on down the road, do you think that would be ok, as long as i place them up on some high rocks close to the top? the reason i ask is because later i will probably buy that, and would just rather shell out the big bucks once and be done with it, rather than buy that 216w for now and then have to even upgrade that one later....

Then go with 432 watt Novas.The fixture will completely cover the top of a 55 gallon tank,But theres no doubt you'd be unlimited when it comes to corals,clams,and anemones.

Biff kept an anemone and clam under her 216 watt novas untill she bought that 240gal.

ahh i gotcha, yea thats similar to the the current usa light i have now, not quite as powerful though, but my tank is only 30" wide, and about 24" from top to bottom...you think they make different sizes and whatnot?

Nove comes in 24,36,and 2-48" fixtures.
How long is your tank?If its only 30" you may have trouble finding a decent light to fit it.

nope, its a real deep and tall tank, its only like 30" Wide, 24" TAll and 20" deep, odd shaped i know, i would rather have a tank not quite as tall or deep, but wider...

Then your best bet is a 36'' fixture hung from the ceiling.If thats okay then look into a Aquactinics TX5(5x39w) or a Tek(6x39w) fixture to be unlimited.The Nova's(4x39w) don't have individual reflectors so they will not penetrate the water column as well since your tank is deep.

yea, im not really in a spot to be hanging anything from the ceiling, im thinking in the future im gonna change to a different size tank, maybe something around 120 gallons and then i'll buy the expensive light for the anemones and clams...i think the one i have now will be fine until then, i think its rater around 175 watts or something...

T-5 are not as good when it comes to a tank that deep. I would go with 1 metal halide probably a 250 watt pendant.

I also have a 30" long tank and did this with my t5 set up

DSC01316.JPG

It is the 24 inch light and I built two braces for the light to sit in out of pvc. I did this so that it would fit inside the canopy and you dont notice anything. only thing is that I have a 30 gallon tank not the 50 gallon tank.
I have this one here
T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights
Just over 3 watts per gallon, does alot better than PC lighting did

If you dont have a canopy, you could get the 36" light and use the feet that come with it, they go in a track and can be placed anywhere along the fixture so you could move them 3 inches in on each side and the light would just overhang acouple inches.

Brian

Back