light?????? how many watts per gallon?????

i have a 30g and i went to pet store and go t5 but i think its a low output its 30" and 36 watt...and its a double linear strip 10000k day light and a t5 blue fluorescent, and i have a nother light 36" 39watt t6 fluorescent strip...is that ok for corals....or no help plz...i haveNt both any corals yet....and im looking into easy corals...

I don't totaly agree on the watts per gallon thing. A lot has to do with depth of the tank and how close to your lighting you keep your corals. I run 4.5 watts per gallon on a 200 gal tank and have had no issues with sps as long as I keep them in the upper portion of my tank. My light fixtures are 2 48" 54watt 8 bulb T5 units.

Over a 75.6X 54 watt bulbs with individual reflectors will do the trick.
I had 8X 54 watters with a single reflector over my old 75 and had SPS on the sand.

Over a 75.6X 54 watt bulbs with individual reflectors will do the trick.
I had 8X 54 watters with a single reflector over my old 75 and had SPS on the sand.

I currently have a 234w fixture from Catalina that has individual reflectors. I know that's not enough, but I'd like to add another fixture for more wattage. I'm thinking of a 78w T5 fixture from Coralife or something compairable. That will put me at 312 watts. Will that be ok?

Example:

http://www.aquacave.com/current-usa-36-nova-br-extreme-t-5-fixture-br-2x39w-10k460nm-1125-2366.html

Last edited:
Thats the thing about T-5s though.You cant really go by the watts per gallon.
But yeah,if you added that extra 2 bulbs,I think you'd be alright.
But I also think you'd be better off to just put a 4ft 6 or 8 bulb light over that T-5.

Thats the thing about T-5s though.You cant really go by the watts per gallon.
But yeah,if you added that extra 2 bulbs,I think you'd be alright.
But I also think you'd be better off to just put a 4ft 6 or 8 bulb light over that T-5.

I know I'd be better off with another fixture, but the one I have is only 3 weeks old. I paid a good $ for it and I can't really afford to purchase another large lighting system. I'm trying to make due with what I have and adding more lights. That's the cheapest way I know to go about it. :frustrat:

Just add the 2 bulb fixture then.:D I personally think you'll have enough light.You'll just need to be careful about placement of your corals.

I don't totaly agree on the watts per gallon thing. A lot has to do with depth of the tank and how close to your lighting you keep your corals. I run 4.5 watts per gallon on a 200 gal tank and have had no issues with sps as long as I keep them in the upper portion of my tank. My light fixtures are 2 48" 54watt 8 bulb T5 units.

The t5 penetration will depend on the quality of the reflectors, and the length of the bulbs. For penetration of depth, the longer the bulb, the deeper the penetration.

:frustrat: 2.jpg

would this be good light for corals......

Back