Light timer - What works best?

twps

Reefing newb
I've gone through three light timers since I setup my tank back in February. I don't know what to do. They all work for a few weeks then stop turning the lights on. It seems as though the timer stops and gets stuck and sits there until they lights are manually turned on. It turns off automatically, and keeps time until it gets stuck. It's a manual dial timer. I'm in the market for another, so I think I'll buy a timer with a LCD display.

What do you use and recommend? Thanks.

these take a little wireing but they work great.
this one will handle 1800w

002-25.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

036-1.jpg

What brand you using? I been using a coralife timer and its been fine fore years. It even lasted well with 2 yrs in storage.

I have this one on my white lights, automatic for sundown and daylight savings, very good, two grounded outlets for the main and fan.

And several of these for the blue, wave maker, etc.

First one cost about $20 and the other is about $12, both at Lowes or online.

I've had 2 Coral Life dual timer powerstrips in the last month, both are trash. 1st one quit turning off the MH. The second quit turning off the actinics, then the timer wouldn't keep time.

Bought my light timers from walmart (ghetto i know) for like 6 bucks....work perfectly with no problems the last year.....although they had about 5 or 6 different models to choose from, i just got the cheapest.....they are in the electrical section (surge protectors, light bulbs, etc.) The only difference in the more expensive models (12-13 dollars) at walmart seemed to be 1 they were digital or 2 they had more than one outlet on them. Check them out....been very reliable for me!

I've been using a model from Walmart also. Since I'm in Canada the cheapest here is $20. I use the same model on my lights in the house and have for years w/o issue.
All I run on the tank in the lights and the timer fails every 2-3 weeks. I think I'll check out Lowe's or Home Depot for a better model. Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

i use the ones from harbor freight. 2 GROUNDED outlets, 8 sepperate set ON/OFF times, battery memory so if the power goes out, it dosent forget the settings or the current time...
minimum set time incriment 1 min...
set different times on different days... its good like that...

i had one set up so that it came on for 2 min every 3 hours all day every day to run the pump on my ATO... it lived like that for the better part of the year... i still have that timer, and now i'm using it as one of my 4 timers on my lights...

I catch them on sale for like $9... havent had one fail on me yet....

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Back