Lighting a 90

And before you talk shit about the Marineland lights, check out some of the threads around here. There are several users on this site that have them and they perform well on mixed reefs. No, they are not the most expensive, high end and fancy fixtures out there, but they have proven themselves as a good budget fixture for people who want softies and LPS at the very least.

A chevy will always be a chevy, its when you take a chevy and state it's the same thing as a lamborgini. You are using terms of budget friendly when in fact they are knock offs. Someone seen the market and took to it making a lesser product more budget friendly. Kessil doesn't use the 3 watt bulb so that blows your thoughts out of the saltwater. Don't get mad about the lower lights, if that is your budget than ok. I've never once seen a sps dominant tank with reef breeders or Marineland fixtures, so please prove me wrong. Actually most reef hobbiest, switched back to old school technology because they were not getting the results like the mh/t5 combo.
There is alot of info out on the interweb that has purchased all these led lights and you would be supprised. They actually ran the light longer than 2 months to state "these are the only lights to purchase."

Okay, you're taking it too far. An led is an led. The fixture is what's a Lamborghini or a Corvette or a Nova. Saying that there's only one light to buy is kinda closed minded. They all do the job, some with cool features like an LTZ and some are the simple, manual transmission in a base model. That would be like somebody saying that there's only one type of piston that works or one brand of frying pan.

The reason most switch back is due to the optical effects. They still grow corals. Especially when the technology is getting better daily.

Okay, you're taking it too far. An led is an led. The fixture is what's a Lamborghini or a Corvette or a Nova. Saying that there's only one light to buy is kinda closed minded. They all do the job, some with cool features like an LTZ and some are the simple, manual transmission in a base model. That would be like somebody saying that there's only one type of piston that works or one brand of frying pan.

The reason most switch back is due to the optical effects. They still grow corals. Especially when the technology is getting better daily.
Dude, it was a burn on you. Reefbreeder corals are the way to go with 2 months trial and all of my corals have exploded

I've NEVER heard of somebody switching back and saying "These expensive LED's just didn't grow my coral. Everything died."
I did not say they died but in fact said they are tried and true. With higher end leds, by the way they are not all the same, are adjustable and they mess with things to much. It's human nature. I can't brake it down to you any more barney style than what it is, if you feel that reefbreeder are king and the best, you will be the only one stating this on this fourm only. I'm guessing you use a par meter too.

I never said they are the only way to go or are the best. But a bulb is a freaking bulb, dude. If corals grow, then who cares what name is on the fixture? Bridgelux vs Cree vs Chinese LED's. The bulbs do the same thing. But think what you want, if you have $600+ per fixture to blow, they work. If you don't, then ReefBreeders, TaoTronics, etc...all work just as good.

P.S. I explicitly stated that I know 2 months is not long term, but with the growth I've seen already, I'm not complaining.

Bulb is a bulb? Not even sure if that is what they call them?

Look up the radion, they are not all 3 watts. Some of them are 5 watts. Look up kessil. I only have 2 units with one BULB. So that must mean I have 6 watts above my tank. Not all fixtures are the same and comparing them all together saying they are shows you know nothing about the actual higher end leds. If you would like to pm me and finish the conversation id be delighted. Hopefully the op does some more research besides this.

What it comes down to is what you can afford, what you want your lighting to do, and if you have the patience to get what you want.

The Chinese led bulb is not near in the same league as a Cree, not even close.

Also, you need to search out reviews on any and all fixtures you are thinking about. Read all the good, the bad and the ugly on them.

Then look into the warranty that comes with the fixture. If you are not offered one due to the company being an off shore corporation such as Jaebo, move on. Kessil offers a two year warranty on their lights, Ecotech a one year. Both of these companies also have outstanding customer service which is always well appreciated and some times needed.

So, look at the build specs, the warranty, the Customer service, and lastly the spectrum. Look for a fixture that has the capability of getting down into that 420nm range or lower. Also, a plus is any fixture offering UV as corals do need it.

So, what are you going with?

I'm looking to upgrade my lights, I'm leaning heavily towards reefbreeder value fixture.

I currently have a 29 gallon, will upgrade (some day) to a 90 gallon when the time comes all I have to do is just buy another one.

Sorry all, to avoid the confusion, I am Melonbob. I created a new account because I couldn't change my username, and it doesn't fit me anymore! LOL

My point is this. If you're going to end up with a Chinese light, why pay someone else's mark ups on it? I'm not. I don't know where the Radions or Ecotechs are made. If they're made in China, I'm bypassing the middle man and getting them directly from the factory cheaper. I like the fixtures I have, but they are only 6 months old. Time will tell if I made a wise purchase.

Back