Lighting cycle for my reef

redsurfer

Reef Murse
So I have a 29g biocube hqi with 150w 20.000 light and only have a few corals so far and an rose anemone shrimp and clown. I dont want to run my light all day but i also want to be home some of the time when it is on. right now i have it on 700-1200 off 12-4pm then on again from 4-8 then my moon light is on for a few hours.
thanks for the help!
:shocking::shocking::shocking:

Im not quite sure what you are asking about, but you should pick one constant photoperiod of 7-10 hours. Get yourself a time and make it so that the tank is on when you are home and awake. Many people have their lights run from noon to midnightish because that is when they are home, the fish wont know they have a funky day schedule.

yes you are right,do not lighting in all day,in day time you can off it,the natural light is enough for fish.
in this way also can longer the life span of the light

Definitely stop the light plan you have. It is unhealthy imo.

Try to get about an 8 hour period. Like little fish said, from 12 onwards is normally a good idea.

Also, how old is your tank? Because having an anemone in a young tank is very dangerous

You definitely dont want to split a photoperiod like you are doing now. I'd pick an 8-10 hour span that includes time when you're home so that you can enjoy the tank

Here is a suggestion for you, and just a basic suggestion at that. If you have any sort of Actinic lighting on your fixture, start that at about 10:00 am. Have your MH turn on at about 2:30pm and run for a 7-8 hour period. Now because you have your photo period split at this time, you are going to want to light acclimate your coral, so start off with a 5 hour period and increase it by an hour every week until you reach the desired length you want.

Back