Lighting during tanks initial cycle????

I left my nova's on about eight hours a day during my initial cycle and I don't think it effected it either way. And yes, after my cycle ended, I got a diatom bloom.

It doesn't really matter like the other's said.I've always ran the lights a couple of hours each day during the cycle.

Thats what i did and it did fine for me. Also i'd run your skimmer if you have one, cycling is the perfect time to break in a new skimmer.

when this bloom happens

1- is it good or bad???

2- do you try to get rid of the alge or does it take care of itself???

It doesn't do anything harmful to your tank, it just looks bad. You can't really do anything to get rid of diatoms, they will come and go on their own. They are very common in new and cycling tanks, and as the tank matures, you'll get diatom outbreaks less frequently.

when this bloom happens

1- is it good or bad???

2- do you try to get rid of the alge or does it take care of itself???

I bought a bus load of snails and they are working overtime and cleaning up the diatoms very nicely. I also have a RO unit coming in a few days which will help out removing more water impurities.

As others have said, this is a slow as you go ,and learn as you go hobby, not to mention a money pit! :twocents:

I would definetly go with no lights. Why cause more algae, when it will be there soon enough. What are you using to cycle your tank with?

Perhaps it would be good to go through the first phases of algae outbreaks before you put fish in the tank. So for the algae populations to stabilize (establish a competing relations) and pass thorough the phases (diatoms --> green hair algae --> red slime -->...) you might consider leaving the lights on.

honestly it's going to go through that anyways usually until the tank matures. You would be waiting an awful long time to add anything.

actually im not using anything to cycle the system

i put in 90 pounds of figi live rock (cured)
and 80 pounds of live sand

i figured the ammonia cycle would start on its own
although ive checked it and im still registering 0ppm ammonia

i dont know how long it takes

If you are using cured live rock, it may not start a cycle. Put in a small pinch of fish food and leave it to rot. That will start the cycle.

Back