Lighting for 54 Corner

galonso52

Reefing newb
I am looking at upgrading my lights. I currently have 2 PC 65 Watt under a canopy over my 54 gallon corner bow front. I would like to go either T5 or MH but it would need to retro fit. I am currently keeping just softies but I would like to venture into LPS and may be SPS. Any recomendations would be great.

What is the farthest point length wise and the depth of the tank?Do you have a budget in mine?I can tell you that because of the odd shape of corner tanks most people use MH pendant lighting.

I currently have two 24 inch PC retro fixtures. In the center i have about 26 inches but I was either thinking of going with four T5 lights or MH. Any suggestions for T5 lights because I am thinking that MH are going to be a problem with the heat under a canopy. Thanks for the response.

T5 retro fit,right?

I would look into at least 4 bulbs.Tek makes a good kit and so does Ice cap.

Here are three kits starting with cheapest first.Some of the kits are for high output(T5-HO) and for very high output(T5-VHO).If you don't have the space in the canopy for at least 4 HO bulbs(banks) then you can consider the T5/VHO kits

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/LET_Lighting/Miro-4_Retrofit_Kits/

ReefGeek > Lighting > T5 Fluorescent > Sunlight Supply > Tek 2 Retrofit Kits
ReefGeek > Lighting > T5 Fluorescent > IceCap > SLR Retrofit Kits

and if you are not handy.They even have it prewired for you.
ReefGeek > Lighting > T5 Fluorescent > IceCap > SLR Pre-Wired Retrofit Kits

BTW,many people here including myself use Reef Geek for bulbs and lighting.IMO,the best on the web.

I've only listed the ones at Reef Geek.You may find cheaper brands at other sites like Dr. Fosters and Smith.The most important thing to look for is to make sure you get individual reflectors for each bulb.

Back