Lighting for a 10 gallon hex?

breebauer

Reefing newb
Hi!
I've just recently put my 10 gallon hex tank back together. I've always kept seahorses in there, and plan to do so again when it's done cycling. This time I was thinking about adding some zoanthids. I've always had fish only tanks, but have done some research on lighting.

The best light that I could find to fit on top of my tank is a 12" Coralife 36w Mini double strip light. Would this be adequate for keeping zoanthids? Would it be adequate for other things, or should I just forget it?

12" is the max lenght that can fit on top of the tank, and 36 watts was the most I could find in that length.
What do you think?
Thanks!!!

I believe it would be good enough for zoos and mushrooms.Maybe other softies too but I'm not 100% certain.If the cycle is done,wait another few weeks and give it a try.

That would work for low-light corals. If you wanted to keep anything more demanding (LPS, SPS, clams, anemones) you would probably have to get a different tank to do so.

Sorry folks....
the depth is around 16 inches, and there's a nice column of live rock/branches in there now while it's cycling. I'm pretty set on putting the ponies in this tank, but wanted to make it a little more interesting this time...

I have 2 other tanks, one 30 gal one 45 gal waiting to be set up, they'll most likely be some sort of reef tanks... I just wanted to start this one first, and get some of the easy inverts in there. I didn't realize that I'd have such a hard time finding decent lighting that would fit.

I guess my mind is bigger than my tank... as usual...:grumble:

Honestly,I wouldn't waste money on lights for the hex.Go ahead and plan something out with the 45g.Much more water volume will allow you to do more and not to mention a more stable environment.

I'm definately taking your advice reeffreak, and an going to plan on a nice reef tank with the 45 gal. That used to be my aggressive tank that I had for YEARS, and I loved it. I never had a problem with anything! (until I told my husband I wanted a divorce, and he gave my fish away- or sold them to a local restaurant for thier dining room tank!) We won't even go there...

My fish were wonderful, (except for my monster lionfish, and my ***hole husband) and the water was always stable(unlike my husband).

My 10 gal seahorse tank always made me do a little more work... emergency water changes, parasites, etc. But I really think alot of that was due to fish from my LFS.

Anyway, I just figured that I would start out small by adding some small zoos or mushrooms in with the seahorses, before I went out and tried to set up a big reef tank. Just wanted to see how that would go...

I guess what I should've asked was... what, if anything can I keep in the tank under 36w low light that will take low current also (needed for the SH's) I know my options are limited, if not none, but I just wanted to try.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
A tank full of mushrooms and horses would look pretty cool.
You could also try some of the non-photosynthic corals.But they would have to be fed several times a week.

Thanks!
I think I'm going to try that when my tank is done cycling. I just ran into some technical difficulties with that, so it might be another month, or so. If/when I get to that, I'll post some pics! I have to fix my cycle problem first, (i just started another post in the beginners forum about it.)

If your going to keep seahorses then stick with mushrooms and zoos.Other softies like colt like low flow but be careful of some softies like leathers which do better with higher flow.I wouldn't put non-photosynthetic corals in a small environment.There's only a few that are considered hardy but needs to fed and fed often.They would only compromise the water quality of a small system.

Cant wait to see what ya got in store for the lil hex tank, was thinking about one, around 25-30 gallons for my office, I wanna see how yours turns out...

Back