Lighting for Standard 180 gallon Tank

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I was pretty sure I was going to go with a AquaIllumination setup but after thinking about it the price tag was too steep. I also was looking at T5 fixtures and this Current Extreme fixture I should not have any lighting issues correct? I am planning on starting as fish only and gradually moving to a full reef tank and don't want my lighting choice to inhibit my choices later on down the line

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

It is rated at 468 watts, the 72' AI system is rated at 432 watts so the energy savings between the two isn't justified by the extra cost unless I am missing something

I don't think you'll have any issues with the Nova Extreme Pros. Light intensive corals like SPS will do better near the top, though.

Well,the AI are pushing alot more PAR with those 432 watts.I've also decided to past on AI's for now.The third generations are just around the corner.They suppose to have more colors then just the blue and white LEDs.

IMO,you will be unlimited but I still think you will need to put higher light corals like SPS in the top half.

If you're not planning on setting up a reef tank right away, you can just use the cheap light your tank came with till you decide to add corals. That way, you never know ... it'll give you time to save up and you might decide to go with LEDs down the road. Like reeffreak said, the wattages maybe be similar but, the PAR will be higher at the sandbed with the LEDs

Back