lighting help

george

Reefing newb
I bought a aqua medic 250x2 metal halide and 2x54 t 5s. The t 5s come on then one goes out for a while then that one goes out and the other comes on.then after a short time they both come back on. I never owned a light like this before because this is new to me. I took the bulbs out twice and still is the same.Is this supposed to work this way.

Interesting.. I'm not exactly sure.. does it have a built in dusk and dawn feature?

What is the model number of your unit?

Gee that does not sound right. I would recommend you contact the retailer right away and see what they have to say about it. if defective you should have it replaced. Sounds like a ballast problem.

it sounds like the ballasts might be over heating
I have seen this happen in flourecent bulbs before that are in hotter environments. I would check ventilation in your hood
Just be carefull around the ballasts they can get pretty hot

Brian

I called Acua medic and they told me that they had a problem with the old bulbs.The older style bulbs say aqua medic on them and the new ones do not.So they are sending me new bulbs I was told not to run the old bulbs becuase they wear on the ballast over time.So I wanted to let everyone know if they have this problem.

Thanks for the feed back. Glad you resolved your problem. If they knew of the problem why did they send the old bulbs to start with?. keep us posted when you receive the new bulbs.

I finally received my new bulbs from aqua medic and seem to be working just fine.I still don"t understand why if they know the bulbs are bad why they are still being sold with a new light fixture.The bulbs are wrapped and shipped separate. The bulbs should sent back to aqua medic and the retailer should be sent knew ones.That being said I was pleased the way they handeld the problem.The new bulbs say sylvania coralstar on them and not aqua medic just in case some one gets the old bulbs.Anyway I think it's an awesome light fixture the only thing is the hanging kit comes with a cheap set of plastic anchors that I threw away and replaced with molly bolts.

Back