Lighting Lighting Lighting

adampw

Reefing newb
So My tank has been set up for about 2 weeks now and I believe my tank is ending its cycle. I have been looking at many many different types of lighting. I am really intrested in compact florescent lighting. I have a 29g tank with 30lbs of LR. I would like to keep some clown fish, and maybe some different corals. All the CF lighting for 29 gallon tanks appears to be 130w. My concern is the brand and its history. Can someone please recomment a good brand and/or company? Here are a few I am looking at:
30" Orbit PC
30" 130W

Any idea or other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks :mrgreen:

So have I. We've probably heard the same stories, mostly about how their stuff seems to arrive broken or damaged then the customer has to jump through flaming hoops to get it replaced or a refund and it ends up taking forever if anything is done.

Yeah I have heard that about aquatraders too. I am just looking for a good PC Light. I wouldn't want to order from aquatraders.

Check out these sites.

premiumaquatics.com
marinedepot.com

Just a couple that I haven't had any issues with and have great customer service.

live aquaria has a nice fixture for a 30 gal for 180.00 I believe was the price but the lighting was halide and lunar it would be good for what your wanting to raise. I have a 30 gal with a male and female maroon and currently 12-14 corals under a jebo pc thats only 24 inches and 110 watts.

JellyMan said:
live aquaria has a nice fixture for a 30 gal for 180.00 I believe was the price but the lighting was halide and lunar it would be good for what your wanting to raise. I have a 30 gal with a male and female maroon and currently 12-14 corals under a jebo pc thats only 24 inches and 110 watts.

I was looking around on liveaquaria and cant seem to find a MH light for that price. The one I found is:
SunPod HQI Metal Halide Fixtures

I made a mistake when I made my profile. I actually have a 29g, not a 30g. Oops :) So I need a 30" fixture. I would eventually like to keep a anenome with a clown fish in there So I know I need good lighting. Should I go with SunPod HQI Metal Halide Fixtures or the Orbit Compact Fluorescent Lights?
Obviously the MH would be better but I am worried about heat. Adding a chiller is not economical for me at this point. Anyways Your advice is appreciated:bounce:

If you keep it at least 12 in off your tank your temp should not fluctuate to a harmful degree that elevation allows for heat exchange.

i have had good results on a 30 gal with 130 watts of CF lighting
i have the coralife lunarlight. it is a real nice fixture that has two blue lunar lights on it

Brian

get the sunpod metal halides are nice, if not get t5's. i bought cf an 4 months later moved up to halides. i have outer orbit 72" metal halides, but sunpod good light to

i have the 48" current orbit pc's. very good lights so far. but, i have only had them for a month. they were the best bang for the buck that i could find. especially since it also has a built in cooling fan

Back