Lighting Primer

x19

Reefing newb
Last night I noticed that a number of my coral's looked fantastic (really phosphorescent) under by lunar LEDs but I never see any of this color in my daytime bulbs. I have two 96w Power Compact bulbs, one is 10,000k daylight and one is 420 nm actinic. The LEDs are 470 nm blue.

So I think I should go out an get a 460 nm bulb to replace the 420, but know there is a lot more to the light than just the aesthetic color properties. So before I got buy bulbs that result in my corals not getting the nutrients they need for photosynthesis...can anyone point me to a good lighting primer?

Actually, the 10k daylights are washing out the fosforecents of the corals. So changing the actinic lighting wont help much. If you want the colors to pop more, try a higher K value of the daylight bulb.

Just an FYI, the actinics are close to the same wave length as a black light. Whitch is Ultra Violet. So they do more fosforecing than the daylight bulbs.

From what I've seen, 10k is highest temp light for power compacts but I certainly could be wrong. However, when in dawn/dusk mode with just the actinic bulb on I still don't get the phosphorescence.

10k is the higest you can get i use to use 2 blues to one daylight and i also tried the duel attinic pc that were both the 460 and 420 current usa makes a good bulb

If I were to replace my 10k daylight bulb with a 10k/420nm bulb would my coral suffer? That would be a 3 actinic to 1 daylight tube ratio.

they may i did full bulbs of either atinic or day light try 4 duel bulbs it will spread the color out more and they will meld together or put it day atinic day attinic. put them in different places

Ok, so I'm thinking of replacing my PC bulbs which are currently one 420nm Actinic and one 10,000k daylight with one 420/460nm and one 420nm/10,000k bulb. I want to get a more pleasing light without sacrificing too much in the way of coral growth. My tank is only 18 inches deep. Will that work?

Last night I noticed that a number of my coral's looked fantastic (really phosphorescent) under by lunar LEDs but I never see any of this color in my daytime bulbs. I have two 96w Power Compact bulbs, one is 10,000k daylight and one is 420 nm actinic. The LEDs are 470 nm blue.

So I think I should go out an get a 460 nm bulb to replace the 420, but know there is a lot more to the light than just the aesthetic color properties. So before I got buy bulbs that result in my corals not getting the nutrients they need for photosynthesis...can anyone point me to a good lighting primer?

Besides not putting out much PAR,that is another downside of PC bulbs.The choices are pretty limited.Changing out 420nm for 460nm will make the corals even less fluorescent.I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I recommend going to a T5 fixture instead.

Two of these is the best it will get.It will make it look a little better but not by much.
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Po...nic)_Powercompact_(Square_Pin)_by_UV_Lighting

Besides not putting out much PAR,that is another downside of PC bulbs.The choices are pretty limited.Changing out 420nm for 460nm will make the corals even less fluorescent.I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I recommend going to a T5 fixture instead.

Woah, we must have posted at the same time. I'm not going to put a T5 fixture in as I'd rather make the jump to LED. Right now I'm planning on doing that in the spring.

Taking a look at the bulb you recommended, would that replace the existing actinic, or the daylight?

One side of the tube is 12k and other tube is 420nm.So it really replaces both.

Let me ask a question.Is this 96w bulb the short quad bulbs or the 96w longer duo bulbs?What is the length of the tank and are the bulbs stack front to back or side by side?

34" Duo Bulbs. The tank is 36 L x 12 W x 16 D. There are two bulbs placed lengthwise along the tank.

So it's kind of like having four banks of bulbs/tubes.

So 12k/420nm bulb and if you can find a 10-14k/460nm would be an improvement.If not,the 12k/420nm bulb with the 75-25(14k) or the 2-in1(14k/420nm) will look better me thinks.My choices is thinking of what the coral needs too.

I ordered the 12k/420nm and a 10k/460nm. Should have them both by early next week.

I'll you know how it goes. Thanks!

my brother wants to put a black light on his 30gal,is this bad in any way? he asked me if it was bad but i have no idea so im askin u guys

Back