lighting question

Droskie20

where's nemo?
I'm looking for lights online and I found a few good deals but the one I really like says ''t5ho 96 watts, excellent for freshwater and planted tanks''.

what's the difference in freshwater lights and saltwater lights????

Spectrum. Most freshwater lights are 5500K/6500K (depending on brand and which bulbs they put in) and a plant light which is pink. Most saltwater reef lights are 10,000K and Actinic 420nm, but some people like to use 8, 12, 14, 16 or 20,000K daylights and Actinic 460. (Most bulbs 12,000K and higher are HQI or MH bulbs, though)

How many bulbs is it? Most people use 1/2 10,000K and 1/2 Actinic 420/460, whichever you prefer. So for a 4-bulb fixture, you would use 2 of each. 460nm has more purple where 420nm has more blue. Not a HUGE difference, but there is some. And most people here favour ATI bulbs, theyre the best money can buy right now.

+1...the light spectrum wouldn't be suitable for saltwater...check out aquatraders.com for decent lighting at affordable prices.

Curious about this too and don't think the question was directly answered. Can t5 HO bulbs be swapped into a fixture that didn't come with them?

You mean, if you have a T5 fixture, can you use any T5 bulbs with them? Yes. Most bulbs that come with new lights aren't great, so people usually put different bulbs in them right away.

Well, actually You are wrong about the lights, and many hobbyists make this mistake, even the experts,because this mistake is popularised in shops, so they could make money....

REMEMEMBER THIS -THIS IS VERY<VERY <VERY important:

Suns light temperature: 5900 Kelvins - THATS IS NATURAL LIGHT!!!

So that means, that anything that goes abowe 5000 Kelvins is the best for plant growth - salt or fresh water aquariums...

The 10000 and 20 000 kelvins are for the coloration, not for the growth!!!!'

One more thing You "experts" also think ,that watts per liter is very important... Actually it is Lumens...
I can pay t5 lamp for 2$ in random shop that will have the same or even better features than lamp for 10 $ sold in petstore...

We have saying in my country: "If there are sheeps, there will be wolfs..." ,,, Sorry, some of You are the sheeps :D

Well, actually You are wrong about the lights, and many hobbyists make this mistake, even the experts,because this mistake is popularised in shops, so they could make money....

REMEMEMBER THIS -THIS IS VERY<VERY <VERY important:

Suns light temperature: 5900 Kelvins - THATS IS NATURAL LIGHT!!!

So that means, that anything that goes abowe 5000 Kelvins is the best for plant growth - salt or fresh water aquariums...

The 10000 and 20 000 kelvins are for the coloration, not for the growth!!!!'

One more thing You "experts" also think ,that watts per liter is very important... Actually it is Lumens...
I can pay t5 lamp for 2$ in random shop that will have the same or even better features than lamp for 10 $ sold in petstore...

We have saying in my country: "If there are sheeps, there will be wolfs..." ,,, Sorry, some of You are the sheeps :D

This is hilarious, and wrong.

A lumen is a measure of the visible light for the human eye, which has nothing to do with the wavelength that corals require for photosynthesis.

Corals require PAR, photosynthetic active radiation. You get a better PAR rating with bulbs rated in the 15,000 kelvin. Corals arent plants, they use a different light spectrum to make their food. Which is why you need to replace your bulbs after a year, the spectrum of light the bulbs puts out shifts to a wavelength that is more suitable for algae growth.

But you are right, some people do add in "blue" or "purple" bulbs to change the colors seen in the tank, because the 15,000 kelvin bulb is very yellow, which makes for boring coral colors.

Also watts per gallon/liter is used because its a rule of thumb trick for evaluating T5 and metal halide setups. Very few people have a PAR meter to test this and it would be difficult to publish PAR reading for a fixture because it changes with depth and how high the lights are placed above the tank. LED are changing this rule of thumb, but Im sure in time we will have rule of thumb for evaluating LEDs as well.

Finally, if those $2 lights actually worked to grow corals, dont you think that all of us would be using them? They dont work, they are made to light a room for human eyes, but not to grow corals. You can't even grow land plants under those lights. Which is probably why your nem is dying, you arent providing it with any lighting, and you stuck it into a tank that is totally unable to provide for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is hilarious, and wrong.

A lumen is a measure of the visible light for the human eye, which has nothing to do with the wavelength that corals require for photosynthesis.

Corals require PAR, photosynthetic active radiation. You get a better PAR rating with bulbs rated in the 15,000 kelvin. Corals arent plants, they use a different light spectrum to make their food. Which is why you need to replace your bulbs after a year, the spectrum of light the bulbs puts out shifts to a wavelength that is more suitable for algae growth.

But you are right, some people do add in "blue" or "purple" bulbs to change the colors seen in the tank, because the 15,000 kelvin bulb is very yellow, which makes for boring coral colors.

Also watts per gallon/liter is used because its a rule of thumb trick for evaluating T5 and metal halide setups. Very few people have a PAR meter to test this and it would be difficult to publish PAR reading for a fixture because it changes with depth and how high the lights are placed above the tank. LED are changing this rule of thumb, but Im sure in time we will have rule of thumb for evaluating LEDs as well.

Finally, if those $2 lights actually worked to grow corals, dont you think that all of us would be using them? They dont work, they are made to light a room for human eyes, but not to grow corals. You can't even grow land plants under those lights. Which is probably why your nem is dying, you arent providing it with any lighting, and you stuck it into a tank that is totally unable to provide for it.

My anemone isn`t dyeing, it just wanted food, didn`t know they also want to eat... feeded it brineshrimp, its fine now, back to its cudly state..

And Corals are better grown in 5900 - 6500 kelvins - fact! The best grow rate is at 5900 - 6500 Kelvins.
More lumens - ussualy means that the lamp is HO or LO .
My brother is using 4$ lamps for his 300 liter aquarium, works great.

Thats what I`m talking about - You don`t listen...

One more thing....

Go to coral farm and check the llights there... Or just go to tomatoe farm or any other plant farm...

Check the kelvins there...
actining lamps are only to make colors more beutiful

I realize that I cannot convince you of your own stupidity, you convinced me of that ages ago in your other threads. You may believe anything you want on this subject, nothing I can say otherwise will convince you.

That information was for the other people reading this thread.

PS - you dont need to feed your nem, you only need to do that if they are sick :)

One more thing....

Go to coral farm and check the llights there... Or just go to tomatoe farm or any other plant farm...

Check the kelvins there...
actining lamps are only to make colors more beutiful

I'm a little late to this train, but if light was so unimportant to the coral and other invertibrates that we keep, why do people like Dr Sanjay Joshi over at advanced aquarist make a career out of testing different lighting setups?

If lighting were so unimportant, why are there so many corals that we as reefkeepers have a difficult time keeping long term in our systems?

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but telling someone newer to the hobby to go out and by budget bulbs because everyone in the aquatics industry is lying is just plain stupid. You want to discuss this with people in the hobby that are established - that's fine - but the fact that lighting is singley handedly the most important part of a reef tank has been well established for many years, by many people that spent careers using SCIENCE to prove that it was true

And like others have said, if you have to feed your 'nem to keep it alive, you obviously have no clue what its needs are

Back