Lighting schedule for a sump Refugium?

CMOS

Reefing newb
Howdy All,

I'm about to (re)start my sump refugium. The last time I tried I left the sump light on 24/7 but this caused the entire sump to be overrun with that nasty green hairy algae. After that I gave up on the Refugium. I'm now ready to try again.

Question: Can I run the sump light 12hrs/day?

Thanks,
CMOS

at least 6-8 hours, but really only if you have macro, stol I would think 4 would be a very minimum. My two cents, now I wait while someone else comes in. I think longer would be fine unless you suspect it is causing a problem.

Last edited:
Running the fuge lights opposite the tank lights does help stablilize pH. During photosynthesis, plants and algae are taking up carbon dioxide. When this process is not occurring, the carbon dioxide stays in your tank, mixes with water and forms carbonic acid, which drops your pH. So always having light running over your system 24/7 (for example, 12 hours tank is on, 12 hours fuge is on) ensures that there is something carrying out photosynthesis and taking up carbon dioxide from the water constantly.

This is why, if you measure pH first thing in the morning after the lights have been out, the pH will be lower than if you measure it at the end of the day, when the lights have been on for a long time. Overnight, carbonic acid has built up in the tank, and caused the pH to drop. During the day, the corals and algae are taking up carbon dioxide, so carbonic acid is not being produced anymore, and the pH rises.

Guys,

Why was it that the first time I tried this (running sump lights 24/7) that the entire sump got taken over by green hairy algae?

Some of you suggest 24/7. After my past experience, I want to understand how YOU can do that without the hairy algae going nuts.

Thanks for all the replies.

CMOS

That would be why you have hair algea. The macro algea eats up the nutrients before the hair algea can grow.

I would recomend cheato, it grows fast and consumes alot of nutrients

You need some sort of algae in your fuge if you are going to run the lights opposite or 24/7. If you don't have macroalgae, then the pest algae will take advantage of the situation and run amok!

Back