lighting shopping

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So, it's almost time for me to replace my t-5 lighting. I'm looking on drs but I'm not exactly sure how to shop for lighting. How do I know I'm buying the correct lights?

Also, replacing filters for RODI - I'm moving from a place with well water to a place with town water. The first stage is all red/rust colored from the hard water. Should I just replace the first stage? Or more stages? I've only been using it for 6 mo's.

Thanks guys!
P.S. What are "vho" lights?

So, it's almost time for me to replace my t-5 lighting. I'm looking on drs but I'm not exactly sure how to shop for lighting. How do I know I'm buying the correct lights?

Also, replacing filters for RODI - I'm moving from a place with well water to a place with town water. The first stage is all red/rust colored from the hard water. Should I just replace the first stage? Or more stages? I've only been using it for 6 mo's.

Thanks guys!
P.S. What are "vho" lights?

call reefgeek.com thaey will help you out jsut tell them how many bulbs you have and what color you want the tank to have and they will hook you up

+1 James.

On the RO/DI.Might as well go ahead and replace all the filters.That way you know their all good.

Okay, I'm on Reefgeek and looking at the lighting, and I still don't really know how to choose.

Which wattage should I choose? Assuming I'm looking for two with a good daylight spectrum and two with a good blue spectrum?

call them i called them and asked them to recommend colors of bulbs for a hint of blue look to the tank and that is what i got. they will ask you the size of your bulbs and that will determin the wattage that they are.

+1 James
Just give em a call.

Ok, I'll call them and ask when I get back.

It seems like there are multiple wattages for a given size, tho - trying to get a vague idea of what I need before I call them so I don't buy overboard.

I can tell you, tho, I'm looking at the LED system there for $3k and I'm pretty tempted........

I'm about 1000 miles away from them right now, haha.
But even if they are one wattage, I'm not sure if I have too much or too little!

well those led light still have a long way to go before they are good imo. why spend almost 3k to get one 400w mh light i just think the led lights need more years on them to be proven that they work good

well those led light still have a long way to go before they are good imo. why spend almost 3k to get one 400w mh light i just think the led lights need more years on them to be proven that they work good

They are HO's, looked them up on the current-usa webpage.

Anyone on the forums have LEDs? I was selling my parachute (don't have time or money for skydiving anymore and I live too far away from the nearest DZ) and going to blow it all towards aquarium stuff, but that could def pay for the system. I wish there was more research/info on it...

I'd love to do MH's, but don't really want to spend that much on my elec bill (I know, 3k for LEDs, but after the MH fixture, the bulbs, and a couple of years of use I think it'd even out)

Bah!:frustrat:

I loved my LED light. Great computerized functions and coloring. It cost around $3700.00 and I used it about a year. Multiple issues. Lights went out. Transformers (2) went out. Blah, blah.

When I wasn't able to get replacement parts I got a new system the first part of the year. MH/T5 combo. The lighting is MUCH better, and has better spread and the corals respond to it better than ever. I do not believe LEDs are ready for our tanks, yet. On day soon but not now. I would not and could not recommend them after having them. Expensive, very expensive lesson for me.

:Cheers:
I loved my LED light. Great computerized functions and coloring. It cost around $3700.00 and I used it about a year. Multiple issues. Lights went out. Transformers (2) went out. Blah, blah.

When I wasn't able to get replacement parts I got a new system the first part of the year. MH/T5 combo. The lighting is MUCH better, and has better spread and the corals respond to it better than ever. I do not believe LEDs are ready for our tanks, yet. On day soon but not now. I would not and could not recommend them after having them. Expensive, very expensive lesson for me.

Dave, you aren't supposed to tell me that! I really have been daydreaming about the Aqua-Illumination set on reefgeek for about 36 hours now. :grumble:
Still trying for reviews, but maybe I'll just replace my T-5 bulbs and hold off on a new system until after my deployment, when I'll be upgrading to a 120. (so purchasing in about 2 years)

I still want it, tho!! If I can find some decent reviews on it (or some bad reviews) it might help me relax, lol!

Back