lighting strong enough for coraline?

mmfrock

Reefing newb
:question:Is my lighting powerful enough to grow coraline algae? Ive been having a hard time getting it to take off and ive noticed its only growing at the very top of my tank near the lights.

My lights are (2) 65 watt bulbs 10,000K/acntincs combined, on for about 6 hours a day, overlapping. My tank is a 29 gallon, 18"H.

with coraline it is not really the brightness that matters. It is more water quality and actinic lighting really seems to help in the growth.. Your lighting should be fine to grow it.. You will see that it grows in spurts, at times there will be no growth then you will get alot of growth.. My seahorse tank took awhile but growing nicely now, and that has very low lighting to try and suit their needs..

Your lights are fine. What salt do you use? I noticed when I switched from IO to RC it really took off, then it was a battle to keep the front glass clean.

Yea i hear you all complaining about coraline, but honestly my tank really needs some purple!! I normally use oceanic but i am using red sea right now b/c thats all the fs had last time i went.

Back