Lighting suggestion

Preferred Temp Color of MH

• Total voters

DarthOcellaris

Reefing newb
Hey everyone

I am about to replace myu MH bulb. I was wanting some opinions on temp range. I have always enjoyed the blueness of a 20K but enjoy the crispness of a 10K

I'm going off the suggestion of Brandon and going to most likely use Champion lighting and get Aqua Medic.

I also thought either a 14 or 15K would give me the best of both worlds. I need some feedback.

What is going on now is that my 10K is faulty ( flickering, fading in and out, turning off ) and my 20K has a broken insulator on one end. So, I need to replace this asap.

Quick question: How safe is it to run a MH bulb without the insulator? Probably not very?

I am currently running 14K Hamiltons with a PFO ballast and they look great. They have the crispness of the 10K, but also have the slightly lighter blue than a 20K. I am running these with no other lights and I couldn't be happier.

I like the Aqua Medic fixtures....

I use geishmenn or however you spell that bulbs... Megachrome 13.5 bulbs.

The reason I recommended gary at champion he is real good at being able to tell you what bulbs will look like. For example the AB 20k and the geismenn 13.5 are the same color.

Brandon

the reason I didnt recommend anyone is cause I dont think any of them have good prices!!!!:mrgreen:
Really, I just got done running 14k hamiltons for the last year and just ordered new ones 2 weeks ago. there excelent, but it sounds like your running double ended bulbs so your selection is limited. but youll be happy with anything from 13 - 15k. I found the best prices on bulbs were at premium aquatics, who also is supportting or frag swap!

i ordered a hamilton 14K from FishSupply.com..That was the best price I found in addition to the other things I ordered ;)

Thanks for the info everyone :D:D

Look there all you greedy club members, you ran him off and he supported someone that doesnt support the club. good job guys:frustrat:
Glad you found what you wanted. were they screw in bulbs? I had my old ones you could have tried to make sure you liked them. but I guess youve already ordered them anyway.

Dang...i feel bad now..I didn't even think of supporing our sponsors :frustrat:

I did already order it. It's the double-ended type. I PRAY it's not my ballast!!! Could you maybe bring yours to the meet and let me try it out to ensure it's not the ballast that is screwing up? Shoot, I'll even buy it from you if you're willing to sell ;)

Well, turns out that it's not the bulb. I put that other bulb in just to see if it would maintain a glow and it dimmed just the same as the 10 K SOOOOO....i am now gonna have to get a new ballast and see if THAT is the problem.

I'm gonna strangle Tim!!!

Ok...I got a call from FishSupply where I'd ordered that bulb. There was a problem with the credit card #. Good thing too. It isn't the bulb that's bad but it seems it's the ballast cause i've tried another bulb out and it does the same things. I also checked my voltage in several outlets and tried the bulb in those outlets.

My conclusion is that it is the ballast. So, I called up our friend Gary at Champion Lighting and he had one in stock. I ordered it with a quickness!!

He is the most friendly guy I've talked to. My hats off to you Gary! Thanks for gettin us all acquainted with him Brandon!!!

i talked to gary yesterday when i ordered some PHOSaR..your right he is a very nice guy..reminds me of bryan and walter @ airwaterice
2 thumbs up for championlighting

Back