Lighting suggestion

Partsman41953

Reefing newb
Hello,

I have a 28 gallon bow front aquarium with live rock, sand substrate, orange mushroom corals, pulsing Xenia corals, yellow wrasse, 2 clown fish and a small clean up crew. The size of the aquarium is 24" wide x 19" deep x 14" front to back. The equipment I have on the tank is a Sea Clone protein skimmer, Rena XP1 canister filter, 2 Hydor power heads, a Coralife power compact for my white lights and a Coralife 2 bulb T5 for my actinic lights.

I would like to make more room on top of the tank and I am looking for a different light fixture. I am not sure if I should go with LED or a T5 light. Also, I am getting green hair algae on my power heads and I am not sure if that is from the lights or not.

Since I am still rather new at this I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

What kind of water do you use (tap, distilled, RODI) and how often do you do water changes, and how big are the water changes?

What type of food do you feed, how often and how much?

Overfeeding and using tap water are the most common causes of green hair algae.

I think it would also be beneficial for you to remove the canister filter. Those tend to lead to high nitrates (and thus algae problems) in saltwater tanks.

Speaking of, what are your water parameters? Specifically, pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, salinity and temp.

For lights, I would go with a 24" T5 fixture. You want at least 4 bulbs.

Back