Lighting

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Okay...so I did an impulse purchase today. I bought a new 120 gallon tank. It is 60wx18dx24h. I have already dropped this new tank, and my 65 gallon after draining it, to have them drilled and have a coast to coast overflow installed on them.

Here is my problem....... For my 65 gallon I have these lights - 36in Metal Halide HQI System Advance Plus

Since I like these lights so far and the price is actually really good, I was wanting a 60" version, but I guess that isnt a possibility since they dont make a 60" version.

I have two questions for you guys than:
1) Do you know a comparible lighting system that will give me good wattage at a fair price (I was expecting these to cost me around $350 since the 72" costs $400)

2) If I build a canopy is is possible for my tank to get sufficient lighting if I suspend a 48" light like this 48in Metal Halide HQI System Advance Plus
I would like to go this route if possible. I mean if the light is centered properly....does the 6" on either side really lose that much lighting?

Thank you as usual for your help everyone. I unfortunately had to take a step backwards today in my setup....but this time everything is being done the right way.

I will definetely consider that, but if my lights dont have to be the exact same size as my aquarium......wouldnt the 48" light work just the same with less configuration having to be done? my main concern is if there will be sufficient lighting 6" from either side? I assume it would not be an issue considering from front to back on the lights is never the same measurement as the depth of the tank.

Is the 6" really not going to get sufficient lighting? Even if the lights that I want are going to be almost 6 watts per gallon? You have to admit that its not easy to find lights like those for that price. The moon lights are a big night time bonus for me.

Nobody has ever had to do this at all?

I will definetely consider that, but if my lights dont have to be the exact same size as my aquarium......wouldnt the 48" light work just the same with less configuration having to be done? my main concern is if there will be sufficient lighting 6" from either side? I assume it would not be an issue considering from front to back on the lights is never the same measurement as the depth of the tank.

Is the 6" really not going to get sufficient lighting? Even if the lights that I want are going to be almost 6 watts per gallon? You have to admit that its not easy to find lights like those for that price. The moon lights are a big night time bonus for me.

Nobody has ever had to do this at all?

That's fine. My 240 gallon tank was 7 feet long, and I used a 6 foot long light.

Finally some good news for the day :) Thank you. Biffer, would you have pics of your 240 Gallon? The girlfriend was really pushing for me to buy a 220 today. I asked her to give these two tanks a few years and then we will switch to a larger tank. Thanks for the good news :) I understand that I cant keep corals close to the outside edge, but I am okay with that for now. Maybe that company will eventually come out with a 60" a which point I will go ahead and buy the light at that time.

Looking to buy it. At a reasonable price. I didnt realize that the company I have bought from before dont have a 60" version. I guess I will suspend it and deal with the 6"on the side.....who knows maybe the lights wont change the temp. of the water that much because of it.

Back