Lights Lights Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment' started by wellnuts, Nov 13, 2008.

1. wellnuts

wellnuts

Upgrading my 75G from a FOWLR to Soft/LPS and lighting is about to make my head explode. At $400ish, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.
    I'm currently using a Current PC 4 X 65W hood which only gives me 3.5 watts/gallon. The concensus seems to be to upgrade to T5 HO Hood.
    To get to 5 watts/gallon (I do understand that PAR, LUX, etc is more important than watts, but trying to figure it out that way seems practically impossible) I have been lookoing at T5 HO 8 x 54W that would give me roughly 5.5 watts/gallon. With reflectors and fan, they run like $450.
    Then I read about people that have the same tank as me using only a
    T5 HO 4 x 54W and having good luck with SPS and clams!!!

What should I buy?????

My tank is 48"L x 18"W x 20"H
    Don't want to buy Metal Halides because I don't want to end up running a chiller and spending a fortune on bulbs.

wellnuts, Nov 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. wellnuts

daugherty part time reefer

i have 8 t5's and love them. on my 75

daugherty, Nov 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. wellnuts

d.french

if you have the money 48" constellation by aquactinics is a good buy

d.french, Nov 13, 2008
  4. wellnuts

d.french

i have aquactinic tx5 which is only 5 54 watt t5's and i keep anything under it, it is a very bright fixture, good individual reflectors make a big difference.

d.french, Nov 13, 2008
  5. wellnuts

d.french

tx5 is like 460 bucks i think, nova pro is 370.00, constellation is 600+. i have both nova pro and tx5, tx5 real nice light nova pro is good but i would change bulbs out to name brand bulbs like geisemann and ATI.

d.french, Nov 13, 2008
  6. wellnuts

wellnuts

Darrick/James

The Tx5 vs the Nova Extreme:

Aquariumpros.com has the Nova Extreme 8 x 54W for $435
    Wouldn't that be better than spending the same money (roughly) on the Tx5 with only 5 x 54W?

Or is it a metter of the nicer reflectors producing essentially the same amount of light as 8 bulbs, at a lower energy cost?

Even though my tank will contain mainly soft and LPS, I'd like to at least be able to add a brain coral and not have to worry.

Thanks

wellnuts, Nov 13, 2008
  7. wellnuts

dustin_P74

the nova extreme does not have independent reflectors. and the Tx5 i believe does have the IR's so your basically getting the same out put from those 5 bulbs as a 10 bulb fixture at a lower cost to you in the long run

dustin_P74, Nov 13, 2008
  8. wellnuts

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I'm running the Nova Extremes on my 75 and keep pretty much whatever I want.But the IRs will give you a whole lot more usable light per watt burned.
    So between the Novas and the TX-5,go with the TX-5.

yote, Nov 13, 2008
  9. wellnuts

Bifferwine I am a girl

It's been said that having individual reflectors doubles the amount of light that reaches your tank, so choosing 5 bulbs with IR vs. 8 bulbs without will save energy and give you the same results.

Bifferwine, Nov 14, 2008
  10. wellnuts

dustin_P74

dont forget money saved in bulb replacement

dustin_P74, Nov 14, 2008
  11. wellnuts

reeffreak

I like to add that good individual reflectors helps penetrate the water better.You will get more usable light deeper in the tank than with a single reflector.It's a no brainer for me,if you want clams and SPS corals,go with the TX5 or better yet the Constellation or Solarflares(which is probably more than what you want to spend.).

reeffreak, Nov 14, 2008
  12. wellnuts

d.french

i would recommend constellation first choice, tx5 second choice and nova extreme pro
    3rd choice since its like 360.00.

d.french, Nov 14, 2008
  13. wellnuts

Stupidsreef

If I may, parabolic reflectors increases light reaching the tank by 300% versus using a stand alone lamp. This in turn will reduce the number of bulbs needed. Plus the reflectors are not all that much more.

Here are 2 samples of very good reflectors:
    http://www.aquacave.com/t5-reflectors-withbr-clips-by-sunlight-supply-1065.html

http://www.aquacave.com/slr-t5-reflectors--brby-ice-cap-1851.html

I bought the retro kits and put them together myself. They are a lot cheaper than to by a unit. Plug this to that an so on. Here is an example of a retro kit. Keep in mind I use this site as an example I've never bought anything from them.

http://www.aquacave.com/36-2-lamp-complete-t-5-brretrofit-kit-by-icecap-1843.html

If you notice this comes with a choice of bulbs, so the price is kinda high. If you do the research you can build your own light system for about half the cost, and end up with a better unit than the pre-built ones. But thats just IMO. For example I have 8 of the 60 inche bulbs, 8 reflectors and 3 ballast and I think my total cost was around $500. Of course I had to put it all together and wire it all up to.

Stupidsreef, Nov 14, 2008
  14. wellnuts

d.french

d.french, Nov 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question