Lights Lights Lights $$$ $$$ $$$

Only comes with 120 degree optics. Reefbreeders.com is cheaper for the 120 optics and gives the option of 90 and 60 degree also

I didn't even know about the ReefBreeders ones. Those come with the color spectrums you're looking for TC...I would give those a try. They're pretty cool.

I still haven't upgraded my lighting. I wanted to months ago but I just keep buying coral with my tank budget instead. Maybe I will buy a new light soon.

I didn't even know about the ReefBreeders ones. Those come with the color spectrums you're looking for TC...I would give those a try. They're pretty cool.

I still haven't upgraded my lighting. I wanted to months ago but I just keep buying coral with my tank budget instead. Maybe I will buy a new light soon.

Whats TC?

yeah...topic creator or thread creator

That's what I thought. Well I had my first loss of my tank this weekend. It was a little hammer coral I had for about 9 days. It was doing great and then all of a sudden it got nuked. My water parameters are fine (though Nitrates are around 5ppm). I even was slowly moving it up toward the middle so it could slowly get more light. Maybe I did not move it up fast enough. Although it looked as if half of it had already died when I bought it and they had saved it. It probably just couldn't handle the move, but shame on the LFS for selling it. Either way I think this highlights my need for better lighting than the T-5. This week I am going to order a skimmer and these reefbreeder LEDs.

I guess all the regular posters on here hate me because I have not gotten that much feed back haha. Anyway, so as far as making your corals pop with incredible color, is it better to go with a combination of whites and different types of blues? Or is it better to get fixtures that have fully adjustable lights in a broader spectrum like White, Different types of blues, reds, greens, and violets?

Thanks

Most fixtures have a mix of white and at least one type of blue. Mid grade fixtures have whites and several different colors of blue. At the higher end (usually) of the LED world you have fixtures that are 'full spectrum' that include whites, blues, and all kinds of other various colors such as green, red, amber, violet, cyan and 'UV'

There is some evidence to suggest that a combination of white and blue LED's does not provide the same color rendition as T5's or Metal Halides. It is speculated that this is due to the UV end of the spectrum that is inherently present in incandescent lighting that is not provided by LED's (unless you have LED's with a light output in that spectrum)

Most fixtures have a mix of white and at least one type of blue. Mid grade fixtures have whites and several different colors of blue. At the higher end (usually) of the LED world you have fixtures that are 'full spectrum' that include whites, blues, and all kinds of other various colors such as green, red, amber, violet, cyan and 'UV'

There is some evidence to suggest that a combination of white and blue LED's does not provide the same color rendition as T5's or Metal Halides. It is speculated that this is due to the UV end of the spectrum that is inherently present in incandescent lighting that is not provided by LED's (unless you have LED's with a light output in that spectrum)

That sounds about right. The fixture I am looking at, the ReefBreeder 24, has the full spectrum. The only thing is it has violets but not Ultra Violets. Their violets are at a different frequency than UV. They claim that alot of UV are not in the right frequency anyway. Will the violets in this fixture give the necessary output? I also noticed that fixtures such as the Radion and others also do not have UV but instead have just violet. Does this matter?

The 'violet' and the UV are pretty much the same thing. I don't think there is much of a difference there. As far as if it will have the right output, its hard to say. If you're really worried about it, go with one of the established fixtures that have a proven track record. Unfortunately, many of those fixtures reside in the mid to upper level in the range of fixtures.

Back