Lights over open water???

margaritaville

Reefing newb
Why do just about all light manufacturers tell you not to use over open water?
What is the advantage of no top glass? oxygen, cooler temp?

They tell you not to use it over open water because they don't want to be responsible if water splashes up into the light and causes a problem. I use mine over open water, I just have eggcrate cut to fit the top of my tank. Better gas exchange at the surface, better light penetration, better temperature control.

I have glass lids on my tank, I keep them clean weekly and don't use the plastic light guards on my PC's. I like to have the glass covers for several reasons: 1) I have small kids who like to throw balls, action figures, nerf-stuffs and would hate for anything to end up floating in my tank. 2) I don't have an R.O. unit to refill evaporated water and the glass helps keep the evaporation to a minimum. 3) I have active fish who startle each other and more than once have heard a swoosh, splash and dull "thud" of a startled fish jump up into the glass - gobies are notorious for it. The light penetration may not be as good, but the pay off of having a lid works for me. Up to you. Best of luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

If you are using Mh and the bulb experiances water splash you could experiance a failure of the bulb in the form of an explosion. the bulbs get very hot so I recommend a shield in some form weather it be a glass top or a shield between the light and the top of the water.

also if you are going to go with a DE MH. be sure that you use the glass that comes with your reflectors. this helps to eliminate any harmful UV that is produced by these bulbs.

I use my lights over open water - my lights come with a "splash shield" that protect the actual lights from the water. They are most defintely needed - I have to clean it atleast once a week.

Back