liitle white bugs on frogspawn wont die!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I got a really nice looking frogspawn from my lfs abot a week ago. It was opening fine for a few days and then it started closing up for long periods of time and trying to open but only slightly. So I was checking it out and saw tons of little tiny white bugs on it. I quickly googled it and read about lps bugs and went it and bought some coral dip. The only thing my lfs had and suggested I used was medicoral by brightwell aquatics. They said it would work. I dipped the frogspawn last nght and still white bugs everywhere in it. Now my other frogspawn is retracting and has white bugs. I just got done dipping the first frogspawn for the second time and the other for the first. And guess what, while they are sitting in the solution I can see the litte white bugs crawling around not coming off so that dip didn't help at all ik assuming. What do I do now. I am very upset bc they were both epoxyed in the perfect spots and the one frogsoawns skeleton broke in four spots when I tried to break it off the epoxy and I had to superglue it together again. I am very irritated right now that I spent 20 bucks on this crap and its not working. Should I fresh water dip or will they harm the coral? This is on my ten gallon that also has the huge brain, very expensive plate coral and candy cane corals that I don't want these bugs spreading to...anyone and everyone please help me out here.

This is what I dipped with.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Brightwe...ts-Brightwell_Aquatics-BW01177-FIADCD-vi.html

Last edited:
I had tons of white bugs all over my frogspawn shortly after I first got it. It was perfect when I brought it home but a few days later it was covered in them, and it didn't want to fully open up for weeks.

I treated it a couple of times with coral Rx and saw no changes, and decided to just leave it alone before stressing it out any further. After awhile the bugs eventually went away on their own, and now I see no sign of them. No clue what they were.

No its not fun at all. I like it when all I have to do is add corals and enjoy. But latley that's not happening. My rose bubble tip nem decided to split and tromp on my palys so I had to isolate it until it could go to my lfs. That was fun....

Oh boy, sorry to hear this :( I had bugs on my monti, isolated it, and am still not sure if I've killed it or not in the process of isolating it. Sometimes I think you can do more harm than good when trying to get rid of pests. I'd continue to dip every few days to see if you can at least slow down their life cycle, and if at all possible try to get some Coral Rx - sounds like the stuff you have is worth beans. I don't know what to say about the other corals... from the info you've read online, does it sound like these particular bugs will attack any LPS, or just the frogspan/torch/hammer family?

Coral Rx should work to help clear it up. To help prevent an infestation of white bugs, I dip all my new corals in an iodine bath like Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure before introducing them into my tank. Understandably I get a bit paranoid about introducing things like flatworms etc into my display tanks.

I had the "white bug" problem on my latest coral I bought, colony polyp. After 5 days of being in my tank, most of the polyps closed up and never reopened. The fish shop where I bought it from, told me the fresh water dip method. I tried that (maintaining ph levels) and all polyps closed up and 2 days later it is dying off. I have a copperband butterfly, so hoping the copperband will eat any white bugs that are left behind. My other corals appear to be uneffected.

I deff don't want to go the fresh water dip route. Sounds like it does more harm than good. I hope yours pulls through. I glued mine back in place and now I'm just hoping they will make it. They are partially open.

So I can't get the interceptor from anywhere. It's been pulled by the manufacture and they don't know for how long. The only thing that has the same main ingredient is called sentinel and idk if that's safe to use and i cant find any info online. My one frogspawn is slowly dying, I can see the skeleton now.. This sucks

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that :( At this point, since it looks like you're going to lose the frogspan if you do nothing, I'd go ahead and try the sentinel, but do it in a separate container rather than using it in the tank until you know the results. Any chance you can frag a piece off your frogspan or one of the other corals that the bugs have attacked to test?

I could take out one frogspawn and dip it in the sentinel. But I don't have another separate tank to treat the frogspawn in. I would only be able to dip it. These bugs are stressing me way out. The tank is covered in them. They are all over the glass. But for some reason they are only attacking the two frogspawns and not the other corals.

bummer sorry to hear. I had a similar problem a while back with my frogspawn as well not sure what type of white bugs but I dipped into water/peroxide 50/50 for about 10mins for 3 days straight. it kills whatever was on there.

the new battle i have is bryopsis all over my LR and plugs.....very fustrating.

I could take out one frogspawn and dip it in the sentinel. But I don't have another separate tank to treat the frogspawn in. I would only be able to dip it. These bugs are stressing me way out. The tank is covered in them. They are all over the glass. But for some reason they are only attacking the two frogspawns and not the other corals.

Not sure how if this would work, but could you move your frogspans and light to a bucket, treat them for a few days in a bucket with a powerhead and heater and light and see how they respond to the treatment? I'm thinking that your other corals will be okay for a few days without a light while you treat the frogspan in a bucket. If it goes well, then you could treat the rest of your tank with the sentinel and move your frogspans back.

Back